• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nappyshock
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2010

Conrad heating units

I'm thinking of automating my heating using the conrad kit....

FHZ1000 - controller
    FHT80B - thermostats
    FHT8V - Actuators
    FHT8W - Boiler controller

Does this setup look correct.

I hope once all the thermostats are in place and configured to use the FHZ1000 to fine tune them from a single point. The boiler will only be in use when one or more thermostats require heat.

Is it correct the FHT80B's do not show the current temperature.

I believe the FHT80B conrad sells is an FHT80B-II

I have seen while browsing reference to an FHT80B-III but it was in german. Anyone know anything about this.

Do these units have the capability to have their firmware upgraded.
  • nappyshock
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2010

If anyone is interested i contacted a German supplier yesterday and the stated that the FHT80B-II and FHT80B-III where the same.

Comment

• phoenix
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2010

Is that german supplier Conrad? If so, they state the fht80b-ii is product number 750407, and that contains 750404 and 570056 - however 750404 is only listed as an fht80b (not ii). Did the information you get clarify this?

Comment

• MikeM
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2008

Before you buy it might be worth a read of the following (old) post on the HomeHeat system:

I did investigate doing exactly the same as you but (a year ago) was not too impressed by the PC software. There is also the need for the thermostats to remain in place despite being under PC control

Comment

• phoenix
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2010

But you could look at FHZ1000PC (http://fhz4linux.info/tiki-index.php) using something like FHEM to control the devices. That's what I'm currently thinking of doing and there is some info about someone else using that in the same thread that MikeM posted.

Comment

• MikeM
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2008

I also looked at FHEM software but a little too complicated for me.

I have been using the autonomous thermostats (FHT80B) and radiator valves (FHT8V) for this last year with good results - the system is very reliable.

Comment

• nappyshock
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Sep 2010

I was not going to include a PC, this is how i'm thinking of doing my setup...

A FHT80B Actuator and thermostat in each room

A FHT8W boiler connect

I would use my timer on the boiler to set the times that the boiler is available but the boiler would only fireup during those times if it got an input from the boiler connect which in turn would only send an input if it got an input from one of the thermostats.
              Therefore there would be times the thermostats would be sending signals to the boiler connect and it would be sending an input to the boiler but the boiler timer would have the boiler switched off.

Do you think this setup would work ok? I'm assuming the actuators talk directly to the boiler connect (has anyone installed one of these?).

Also is it possible in a situation where there are two radiators in one room to have two actuators linked to one thermostat?

Comment

• phoenix
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2010

I haven't installed these as of yet, but I am planning on shortly ...

Your setup sounds very similar to what I have planned, except I intend to use a PC interface as well. The basic principal of the boiler connect only firing if a room thermostat requires it (and the central heating timer is on) is exactly what I have planned.

I believe the actuators only talk to the room thermostat (the thermostat only tells them to be open or closed) and it is the thermostat which asks the boiler connect for heat.

You can have multiple actuators connected to one thermostat, you just need to follow the pairing instructions in the manual.

Comment

• nappyshock
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Sep 2010

I'm at the point where i'm ready to install this system.

I just worked out the cost for my setup would be £566.

I'm going to have to start doing some serious reading up and maybe buy one FHT80B + actuator to have a play with. before taking the plunge.

At what point are you at phoenix?

MikeM did you have a boiler connect in your setup?

Comment

• phoenix
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Mar 2010

They are quite expensive, but cheaper than the other solutions I've seen (e.g. Honeywell). Which company are you ordering from?

I've got 1xthermostat and 2xactuators, just need to give a plumber a ring to install TRVs on all our radiators as we don't even have those yet.

Comment

• nappyshock
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Sep 2010

I was looking at getting them from Conrad, i can't see anywhere cheaper.

Also after doing a bit more research, with my proposed setup which does not include a central control all the information is one way from the thermostats to the boiler connect, this means i believe i could use the slighty cheaper and less intelligent FHT8R units instead of the FHT80B units, this will save me around £80.

Comment

• phoenix
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Mar 2010

I've not looked at any of the other 'lesser' products so I can't comment on what they should/shouldn't be able to do. All I would say is saving £80 when your spending ~£500 isn't that much compared to the annoyance you might have if in a year or 2 you decide you want to get the central control box (PC control or the wall box) but can't because it doesn't work with your thermostats.

Comment

• nappyshock
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Sep 2010

You have a point there, i've never really thought about a central control, i suppose it would be good to be able to control them from my PC. Are you able to answer a few questions in this matter...

1. Does the PC have to on all the time.

2. Does a basic GUI come with the Conrad interface equipment. I read on these forums people chatting about having to write software and using linux, i've never done any of that.

3. I use 64bit windows 7 alot of stuff may not work on that.

4. I'd be looking at just a basic setup for the heating nothing else.

Comment

• phoenix
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Mar 2010

I'm talking from my understanding having looked into this, not from having any hands-on experience (yet).

There are 3 different types of 'central control'. The first is is the FHZ1000 (conrad part 617499 - 89 ) This doesn't interface with a PC at all but can be controlled like the normal room thermostats, and applies changes to all thermostats in the system.

The second option is the FHZ1300 (conrad part 620371 - 89 ), this is an 'official' product which I believe comes with software - probably a simple GUI that only works under Windows (I've not looked into this at all).

the third option is a separate (unrelated to conrad) device which can interact with the FS20 signalling system - a device like http://busware.de/tiki-index.php?page=CUL with some software like FHEM.

It sounds like option 3 isn't suitable for you at all. I wouldn't have thought you would need to have your PC on all the time for option 2, I have no idea about 64-bit Win7, the instructions on the conrad site might provide more information.

HTH,
                            -Jeff

Comment

• fredd500
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jun 2009

I have had the Conrad system installed for a couple of years and it works well. I have the autonomous FHT80Bs with actuators and an FHT8W boiler interlock. It works well with little input from me.

I also have an FHZ1300PC which I use to satisfy my inner geek. It comes with Windows software, but it was pretty dire. It can control the heating system, but does so by telling the FHT80Bs what to set themselves to. They remain autonomous and decide how much to open the valves etc themselves throughout.

I have a 24x7 server running Linux in the loft so I plumped for the FHEM software. It works, to a point and allows me to query the system set point, current temperature etc. There are a number of front ends available for it including a native app for iPhone and iPod touch. Many of these are german in origin and language as this is where the system originates (the menu's on the FHT80Bs are german too). I have plumped for writing my own front end, mostly because I am a geek and having a background in web application development, I find it fun and interesting. The missus doesn't get it, but I am a geek - what more can I say.

Generally speaking, it works really well for me. I like the fact that I can have a computer interface to something, but not rely on it (the server is a bit old and prone to falling over) and that doesn't impact on the heating control in the house - all I loose is a few nice graphs etc.

Personally, I would recommend the system to anyone who asked. If you are looking for an all singing, all dancing turn-key computer controlled system, it probably isn't there, but if you want an autonomous heating system that the wife can use with the possibility of adding some computer control later, it is great.

Hope this helps
                              Chris
                              Chris

Automating my home in a family friendly way - My blog: http://www.cpmills.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X