Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conrad heating units

Automated Home Jr Member

I was looking at getting them from Conrad, i can't see anywhere cheaper.

Also after doing a bit more research, with my proposed setup which does not include a central control all the information is one way from the thermostats to the boiler connect, this means i believe i could use the slighty cheaper and less intelligent FHT8R units instead of the FHT80B units, this will save me around 80.

Automated Home Jr Member

I've not looked at any of the other 'lesser' products so I can't comment on what they should/shouldn't be able to do. All I would say is saving 80 when your spending ~500 isn't that much compared to the annoyance you might have if in a year or 2 you decide you want to get the central control box (PC control or the wall box) but can't because it doesn't work with your thermostats.

Automated Home Jr Member

You have a point there, i've never really thought about a central control, i suppose it would be good to be able to control them from my PC. Are you able to answer a few questions in this matter...

1. Does the PC have to on all the time.

2. Does a basic GUI come with the Conrad interface equipment. I read on these forums people chatting about having to write software and using linux, i've never done any of that.

3. I use 64bit windows 7 alot of stuff may not work on that.

4. I'd be looking at just a basic setup for the heating nothing else.

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm talking from my understanding having looked into this, not from having any hands-on experience (yet).

There are 3 different types of 'central control'. The first is is the FHZ1000 (conrad part 617499 - 89 ) This doesn't interface with a PC at all but can be controlled like the normal room thermostats, and applies changes to all thermostats in the system.

The second option is the FHZ1300 (conrad part 620371 - 89 ), this is an 'official' product which I believe comes with software - probably a simple GUI that only works under Windows (I've not looked into this at all).

the third option is a separate (unrelated to conrad) device which can interact with the FS20 signalling system - a device like http://busware.de/tiki-index.php?page=CUL with some software like FHEM.

It sounds like option 3 isn't suitable for you at all. I wouldn't have thought you would need to have your PC on all the time for option 2, I have no idea about 64-bit Win7, the instructions on the conrad site might provide more information.

HTH,
    -Jeff

Automated Home Jr Member

I have had the Conrad system installed for a couple of years and it works well. I have the autonomous FHT80Bs with actuators and an FHT8W boiler interlock. It works well with little input from me.

I also have an FHZ1300PC which I use to satisfy my inner geek. It comes with Windows software, but it was pretty dire. It can control the heating system, but does so by telling the FHT80Bs what to set themselves to. They remain autonomous and decide how much to open the valves etc themselves throughout.

I have a 24x7 server running Linux in the loft so I plumped for the FHEM software. It works, to a point and allows me to query the system set point, current temperature etc. There are a number of front ends available for it including a native app for iPhone and iPod touch. Many of these are german in origin and language as this is where the system originates (the menu's on the FHT80Bs are german too). I have plumped for writing my own front end, mostly because I am a geek and having a background in web application development, I find it fun and interesting. The missus doesn't get it, but I am a geek - what more can I say.

Generally speaking, it works really well for me. I like the fact that I can have a computer interface to something, but not rely on it (the server is a bit old and prone to falling over) and that doesn't impact on the heating control in the house - all I loose is a few nice graphs etc.

Personally, I would recommend the system to anyone who asked. If you are looking for an all singing, all dancing turn-key computer controlled system, it probably isn't there, but if you want an autonomous heating system that the wife can use with the possibility of adding some computer control later, it is great.

Hope this helps
    Chris

Nappyshock here is a link for the instructions in English.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog