X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Easy to diagnose which..

If you send the xAP mute message manually from xFX Viewer does it work ? If not then likely to be a SqueezeServer plugin issue. If it does work then look at what is different in xAP Flash. Maybe it is sending the mute on press and then cancelling it again on release ? I.e. Not toggling

Low speed iPhone link only for a couple of days so my be erratic replies

Comment

• BodgeIT
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jul 2010

Thanks, didn't know I could do that from xAPViewer.
      Seems like xAP plugin not working...blast, don't think developer supports that anymore.

Comment

• Boxing Orange
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Dec 2010

Pages and buttons

Hi,

Firstly, well done to all those involved in getting this project where it is, your effort is well worth it, and appreciated.

I've read through the documentation and this thread, and am just looking for some clarity on button usage. I've setup a page, similar to the one here, http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...58&postcount=3, when I click one of my menu buttons on the left hand side the relevant buttons/information is displayed on the main area. But if I then press a second different menu button, the relevant buttons/information aren't displayed. So a button only seems to toggle it's own grouped items.

I was expecting a different button press to hide/toggle a previous page and display it's own grouped items.

If I've misunderstood the button/toggle function, sorry. Can someone give me an example or explain what I need to do,

Thanks

Karl

Comment

• Boxing Orange
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2010

Blue Buttons

Just a quick observation, the internal blue buttons don't centre their text or labels properly, they're slightly to the left. The black and red are fine.

Comment

• Kevin
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Boxing Orange View Post
            Just a quick observation, the internal blue buttons don't centre their text or labels properly, they're slightly to the left. The black and red are fine.
            Yes - the blue buttons are offset a little and the sizing is a little different , they were authored slightly differently, actually the label is in the right place it's the button that's wrong. PaulG has redone the blue button for the (as yet unreleased) beta 6. The pic below shows the old button and the new one below.

Also in beta 6 the label can be nudged both vertically and horizontally at pixel resolution on an individual button basis..so if you did use a button that was not symmetrical horizontally you can still place the label nicely.

K

Last edited by Kevin; 7 January 2011, 02:52 AM. Reason: picture

Comment

• Kevin
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Boxing Orange View Post
              when I click one of my menu buttons on the left hand side the relevant buttons/information is displayed on the main area. But if I then press a second different menu button, the relevant buttons/information aren't displayed. So a button only seems to toggle it's own grouped items.

I was expecting a different button press to hide/toggle a previous page and display it's own grouped items.
              Hi Karl,

The modes pagehide, pageshow and pagetoggle are now deprecated although they do still work in beta 5. Instead the buttons should be set to <mode>link</mode> and then include the following within your button.

<link>
              <name>pagename</name>
              <type>page</type>
              </link>

Now when you click on a button the matching page will hide/show. Make sure that your pages are all named with unique names. <type> is not currently used but may be later.

Pages in xAPFlash are always layered in the order that they appear in the XML - they are never re-ordered so if pageA appears before pageB it can never be displayed on top of pageB. However depending on the content / size of pageB some elements of page A might still show through from behind. Instead pageB should be hidden to fully display page A.

What I expect you are doing above is just showing pages and hence later ones obscure earlier ones giving the appearance the page link toggle isn't working (it is but it's hidden behind).

To make buttons and/or pages mutually exclusive so that buttons operate like radio station selectors or only one page is visible they should be grouped. Place each button in the same named group - same for pages. Buttons and pages are usually in different groups. eg for a group named 'leftmenu'

<group>leftmenu</group>

Grouped buttons will only allow one to be highlighted / active at any one time and pages will only allow for one of the pages within the group to be visible (automatically making others invisibleif needed).

This should give you the behaviour you are wanting.

K

Comment

• Kevin
                • Jan 2004

beta 6

Just to reassure people that I am still working hard to resolve an issue that I have with beta 6 on the Joggler . This unfortunately involves an essential commercial component that I am using in the code and it isn't working (yet) on the Joggler. It does work fine on the PC and I am working with the developer to try and fix this, but they are unfamiliar with the Joggler where an app is contained within another Flash app and there is no 'stage' object. Currently on the Joggler the xAP app runs but upon exit the main Joggler UI is unresponsive so you have to reboot it.

Although I didn't have too much time over Xmas / New Year I should have a bit more next week when I hope to make progress. If I am still stuck I will likely post a beta 6 release for PC's only for those chomping at the bit.

I do have pending beta requests from a lot of people eager to go - please be patient. I haven't wanted to repost beta 5 because it will require you to rework your XML and graphics when beta 6 is released. Also I hope I've already caught most beta 5 issues and beta 6 is such a change internally that I just know there's many more things for you to discover there that'll need attention - so it'll be far more fun ;-)

K

Comment

• jtl
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2010

Beta 6

Hi Kevin

Just wondered how Beta 6 was coming along . I have just started down the hah route, what Derek and Brett have done with that piece of hardware is simply amazing, and xap flash will be the perfect interface for it.

Comment

• Kevin
                    • Jan 2004

To keep you updated - I have a (Joggler only) issue that is requiring support from another commercial company and it's taking way longer to resolve than it should. As the Joggler is no longer available , and not supported by O2 / OP I can quite understand it's low priority. Very frustrating...

This doesn't effect the PC based version of xAP Flash and if nothing progresses shortly then I shall post this version of beta 6 for those that have a PC based interest.

Very frustrating - thanks for bearing with me...

K

Comment

• Digizz
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Feb 2004

Thanks for the update Kevin

I can understand how frustrating that must be! Looking forward to the next version when it's ready

Paul.

Comment

• BodgeIT
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Jul 2010

Hi guys, I just wondered how everyone was getting on? Any successes, failures, tips? Kevin have you smashed that problem yet?
                        Kevin would it be worth having a small examples store somewhere? Let people get ideas and stuff?

Comment

• BodgeIT
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Jul 2010

Kevin's gone missing!

...hopefully he's just busy putting the finishing touches to the next release!

Comment

• Kevin
                            • Jan 2004

Not missing - I'm just quiet ... I'm sidetracked on a couple of other projects... one with a commercial deadline. I find my projects go in enthusiasm cycles and there are other peaks currently.

The xAP Joggler project has been quite an eye opener in terms of the effort involved in producing a release suitable for everyone. Structuring the app to allow customisation , no hardcoding of features, documentation etc - and TBH moving from something that 'works for me ' to 'works for everyone' sometimes just seems a step not worth taking. It significantly increases the time investment and of course creates a support responsibility and time is something I'm just really short of at the moment so I don't want to lose any more. The request here for someone to help on documentation was met with....well.... zero replies :-( Brett did kindly offer help with tag documentation to do away with that temporary spreadsheet.

I get a lot of emails about xAP Flash - this list probably is only 10% of the comments I've had - and most are of the line - 'wow great product but can it do this' or 'simple question ... but don't want to post to the list as I'll appear stupid....' or newbies with a need for a totally plug and play solution that works with the ACME 127N television/washing machine. Same actually with general xAP based questions too. The other xAP lists are very quiet but there are a lot of emails on a daily basis.

Additionally the cessation of the supply of O2 Jogglers has meant that OpenPeak/O2 do not want to engage in any support at all for the product. I have an issue with xAP Flash on the Joggler that I'm unable to remedy for a general release currently - I can get around the issue for my own use though. I may be able to fix it by investing a few hundred pounds in some development software but that doesn't seem worthwhile.

So - I'm still here but taking a step back. Using beta 6 and it's potential suits my needs , aside from on iOS. I still have loads of graphic / screen layout design to do though. I also have a load of boring (dirty) home renovation / HA work I need (must) do on my own home to move from proof of concept to a finished home. I still only have my C-Bus half installed - with bits I bought 5+ years ago still new in their boxes. I'm sure many people on these lists have the HA horse before the cart scenario with a new home. I mean a xAP doorbell but still no bathrooms for goodness sake !

I could post the last beta5 for everyone - I have about 25 people still wanting to beta test - but I'm kinda reluctant to release beta 6 as it's something I just don't have the time to support currently. beta 6 needs the documentation updating and some graphics work for the way the new buttons are handled (and is PC only - won't work on Jogglers currently).

K
                            Last edited by Kevin; 18 March 2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• pete_c
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Feb 2011

Hello Kevin,

I found your forum by accident a few months back and became totally impressed with the information relating to HA on this forum.

I'm looking to test your application with the Chumby; specfically the Infocast device. The Infocast tablets went on sale in the US around Christmas time last year. It has a custom built flash player and does a decent job playing flash files.

I currently have a sort of HA sandbox in my home using both a hardware and software HA controller. I have been using XAP for a few years now; mostly for weather data and my Zoneminder box.

I wouldn't mind helping with your documentation for beta 6 and would like to give beta 5 a try on the Chumby.

-pete
                              Last edited by pete_c; 28 March 2011, 06:02 AM.
                              - Pete C
                              HW-HAI OPII - X10,UPB,Z-Wave,Russound,1-Wire(X4 networks) OmniTouch screens, Intel & Arm Touchscreens (Android, Wintel & Linux)and OmniStat2
                              SW-HSPro - Atom D525/4Gb -W2003SP2 X86 - 18 serial ports via USB (Digi Edgeports & Digi Hub)
                              Weather Cumulus - Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue

Comment

• Kevin
                                • Jan 2004

Hi Pete,

What is the screen resolution of the Chumby ? I expect you will have problems with beta 5 as the stage is set at a fixed size that matches the Joggler. Even in beta 6 it may still be an issue.

K

Comment

Working...
                                X