X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BodgeIT
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jul 2010

Re running within a browser - search in the 'Getting Started' document for this paragraph and that should get you going...
    That'll teach me to RTFM properly before diving in with silly question!

Comment

• kev_t
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jun 2004

generic messages and textbox background alpha/image

Generic message parsing and displaying in a button works fine, but now putting it into a text box

When I do this, the data value is written into the **first** available text box on the page using the default, ie not html set, text attributes for the box.

Also trying to get the background attributes on a textbox working using
      <background>
      <alpha>...</alpha>
      <image>...</image>
      </background>

I am unable to see any effrect of setting alpha to 0.1, 0.5, 1.0 or loading a background image into a text box. Can you check it out and/or provide a working example xml section for this?

Thanks

KevinT

Comment

• BodgeIT
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jul 2010

Kev, I think there's a <visible> tag that sits in <background>, have you tried that?
        Last edited by BodgeIT; 24 September 2010, 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• BodgeIT
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jul 2010

I've noticed that the screensaver no longer kicks in on beta5c, is this by design?
          Last edited by Kevin; 24 September 2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Kevin
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kev_t View Post
            Also trying to get the background attributes on a textbox working using
            <background>
            <alpha>...</alpha>
            <image>...</image>
            </background>

I am unable to see any effrect of setting alpha to 0.1, 0.5, 1.0 or loading a background image into a text box. Can you check it out and/or provide a working example xml section for this?

Ahh - sorry the <image> tag should not be shown as valid within a textbox background element. A textbox background can only have a solid or absent <background><colour> of varying transparency. alpha should have worked for any displayed text though. Once you set a background colour and <background><visible>true it's much easier to see the efefcts of alpha.

I'll look into the other issue..

K

edit: the <alpha> tag needs to be at the <textbox> root level however as it applies to the whole textbox - not just it's background. I have corrected the spreadsheet that showed it valid at both levels. I will repost the spreadsheet soon, so let me know of any other errors you spot.
            Last edited by Kevin; 24 September 2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

just to say, this is a great thread - gives lots on insights ...
              Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Kevin
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BodgeIT View Post
                I've noticed that the screensaver no longer kicks in on beta5c, is this by design?
                Have a look at this tag in the beta 5 docs... you might have to set it false in your XML

<pausescreensaver>

K

Comment

• kev_t
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Jun 2004

background

Well I have added visible to background, and a set of variations to alpha and colour and I still can't see any difference - alpha refers to the transparancy of the text in the textbox - is that right, must be missing something

Anyway the effect I wanted was the background of the page showing through the background of the textbox, so that the text only sat on the page and I get that with

<background>
                  <visible>false</visible>
                  </background>

so happy with that for now

Thanks
                  KevinT

Comment

• kev_t
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Jun 2004

Great Thread

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
                    just to say, this is a great thread - gives lots on insights ...
                    Yes great thread, and a great job Kevin & Martyn, et al are doing

Anyway we enjoy teasing you

Maybe post some pics when i pause for breath

KevinT

Comment

• Kevin
                      • Jan 2004

beta 5 d now posted:

Changes:

Pages (specifically last page) with no buttons still load text elements and don't cause hang at startup.

Includes version number in heartbeat.

<xAP><on> and <off> now prevent spoofing of UID and Source. Messages will always be sent from the xAPFlash source address/UID. Included XML must still have a source= and UID= parameter but the value may be blank (or anything) as it will be substituted.

The wrong (always first) textbox element was being populated with text when using generic schema.

I have looked at but so far been unable to remedy the textBox font display issue on a Joggler client.

K

PS KT - I edited my previous response to you re <alpha> which does work if you move the tag.
                      Last edited by Kevin; 24 September 2010, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• kev_t
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Jun 2004

generic message parsing - textbox

The parsing of parameters from generic xAP messages, in this example a weather report, into text boxes now works great, thanks

As promised, a teasing screendump of my test screen

(the borders around the textboxes are for my guidance and can be easily removed)

KevinT
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Kevin
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BodgeIT
                          I'm trying to apply alpha settings across all my buttons
                          At the moment <alpha> in the spreadsheet shows as a ? within the overrides and doesn't show at all within <defaults>. However Martyn is moving all the <defaults> to be useable in <overrides> and also within <page>. Some <defaults> that are shown there currently in the spreadsheet might not be implemented quite yet in config.xml. I am assuming <alpha> will be supported too but I'm not sure ... Martyn ??

This should make the next beta but FTTB you would have to include <alpha> in each button...

K

Ahhh - you've deleted your original post Gary...
                          Last edited by Kevin; 24 September 2010, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• martynwendon
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Feb 2009

Current plan is to allow anything that could perceivably be defaulted to be set at both <overrides> and <page> level.

I've also begun to sanity check some of the XML tags to make sure internal hardcoded defaults are used in the event of duff or non-existent tag values - this is the start of a bigger re-write of the way we currently retrieve and validate tags, so is quite time consuming, not to mention boring :-( But I don't mind doing it and it leaves Mr H free to sneak in more great functionality :-)

I'm getting there slowly, been a bit swamped with work this week again so not had as much free time as I'd hoped!

Should have something useable by the end of the weekend hopefully :-)

Martyn

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                            At the moment <alpha> in the spreadsheet shows as a ? within the overrides and doesn't show at all within <defaults>. However Martyn is moving all the <defaults> to be useable in <overrides> and also within <page>. Some <defaults> that are shown there currently in the spreadsheet might not be implemented quite yet in config.xml. I am assuming <alpha> will be supported too but I'm not sure ... Martyn ??

I think these will be in the next beta but FTTB you would have to include <alpha> in each button...

K

Ahhh - you deleted your post Gary...
                            My Blog

Comment

• BodgeIT
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Jul 2010

Embarrased.

Hi Kevin,
                              Yes I deleted post because I started to understand the logic of the override, although I still don't like it.
                              It's like a perverse logic and takes a bit of getting used to.
                              Once I saw it's purpose I decided not to comment.

Anyhow I've been tweaking a little. I'm not seeing the functionality of background that I'd expect.

I get that page defaults to location 0,0 and that all we can do is move a "sized" background around that page using <posY><posX>. At the moment I'm trying to use this as a highlighting background to group my buttons.

I just can't get the background to show on the page.

Here's my config for the page ... (buttons removed for simplicity):

<page NAME="Control">
                              <width>355</width>
                              <height>266</height>
                              <visible>true</visible>
                              <alpha>0.8</alpha>
                              <group>Center</group>
                              <background>
                              <visible>true</visible>
                              <image>back-control.jpg</image>
                              </background>
                              ....<buttons>
                              .....<textboxes>
                              </page>

what I'm trying to do is surround the buttons with the background, effectively grouping them. I'm expecting the above script to drop my background
                              onto the screen into position 0,0. I was then going to move it to the correct position. I just don't see the background.
                              I remember you mentioning about setting defaults and that if they weren't set, that items could disappear but I have a default for the background set.
                              I guess I could be confused about where I should set that.

Also:
                              I think these will be in the next beta but FTTB you would have to include <alpha> in each button...
                              It seems the moment you add <alpha> to the page, all buttons are affected although this may only be in effect when a <group> tag is used.

This is where I feel the current override logic simply fails and yet I get it works...wierd.
                              Last edited by BodgeIT; 25 September 2010, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• BodgeIT
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Jul 2010

Here's my latest screen. going for a carbon fibre look. I'll be creating some appropriate buttons as soon as I can.

It's a very simple layout because I don't actually have much to control, but I'd like to bring in some effective grouping techniques which should aid more complex layouts.

screen.jpg
                                Last edited by BodgeIT; 25 September 2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X