Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: xAP Flash nee Joggler beta 5

Automated Home Sr Member BodgeIT's Avatar

Hi guys, I just wondered how everyone was getting on? Any successes, failures, tips? Kevin have you smashed that problem yet?
    Kevin would it be worth having a small examples store somewhere? Let people get ideas and stuff?

Automated Home Sr Member BodgeIT's Avatar

Default Kevin's gone missing!

...hopefully he's just busy putting the finishing touches to the next release!

Not missing - I'm just quiet ... I'm sidetracked on a couple of other projects... one with a commercial deadline. I find my projects go in enthusiasm cycles and there are other peaks currently.

The xAP Joggler project has been quite an eye opener in terms of the effort involved in producing a release suitable for everyone. Structuring the app to allow customisation , no hardcoding of features, documentation etc - and TBH moving from something that 'works for me ' to 'works for everyone' sometimes just seems a step not worth taking. It significantly increases the time investment and of course creates a support responsibility and time is something I'm just really short of at the moment so I don't want to lose any more. The request here for someone to help on documentation was met with....well.... zero replies :-( Brett did kindly offer help with tag documentation to do away with that temporary spreadsheet.

I get a lot of emails about xAP Flash - this list probably is only 10% of the comments I've had - and most are of the line - 'wow great product but can it do this' or 'simple question ... but don't want to post to the list as I'll appear stupid....' or newbies with a need for a totally plug and play solution that works with the ACME 127N television/washing machine. Same actually with general xAP based questions too. The other xAP lists are very quiet but there are a lot of emails on a daily basis.

Additionally the cessation of the supply of O2 Jogglers has meant that OpenPeak/O2 do not want to engage in any support at all for the product. I have an issue with xAP Flash on the Joggler that I'm unable to remedy for a general release currently - I can get around the issue for my own use though. I may be able to fix it by investing a few hundred pounds in some development software but that doesn't seem worthwhile.

So - I'm still here but taking a step back. Using beta 6 and it's potential suits my needs , aside from on iOS. I still have loads of graphic / screen layout design to do though. I also have a load of boring (dirty) home renovation / HA work I need (must) do on my own home to move from proof of concept to a finished home. I still only have my C-Bus half installed - with bits I bought 5+ years ago still new in their boxes. I'm sure many people on these lists have the HA horse before the cart scenario with a new home. I mean a xAP doorbell but still no bathrooms for goodness sake !

I could post the last beta5 for everyone - I have about 25 people still wanting to beta test - but I'm kinda reluctant to release beta 6 as it's something I just don't have the time to support currently. beta 6 needs the documentation updating and some graphics work for the way the new buttons are handled (and is PC only - won't work on Jogglers currently).

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 18th March 2011 at 11:34 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member pete_c's Avatar

Hello Kevin,

I found your forum by accident a few months back and became totally impressed with the information relating to HA on this forum.

I'm looking to test your application with the Chumby; specfically the Infocast device. The Infocast tablets went on sale in the US around Christmas time last year. It has a custom built flash player and does a decent job playing flash files.

I currently have a sort of HA sandbox in my home using both a hardware and software HA controller. I have been using XAP for a few years now; mostly for weather data and my Zoneminder box.

I wouldn't mind helping with your documentation for beta 6 and would like to give beta 5 a try on the Chumby.

-pete
    Last edited by pete_c; 28th March 2011 at 06:02 AM.

Hi Pete,

What is the screen resolution of the Chumby ? I expect you will have problems with beta 5 as the stage is set at a fixed size that matches the Joggler. Even in beta 6 it may still be an issue.

K

Nice to meet you there Kevin (on the forum). Historically I passed by at LHR working mostly in Europe but did stay in London for a couple of weeks a couple of years ago. My company set me up with an apartment and I walked to work every day. I enjoyed the short walk. The offices stretched a block or so across the street from Paddington Station in London.

The Chumby 8" screen resolution is 600X800.

I've left the base OS intact and have Python installed on it now to remote some of the HW functions (like dimming). It's utilizing an ARM processor at 800Mhz so not quite as fast as the Joggler; but it does well with whatever flash I've run on it. The nice piece is that is has a nice tabletop look to it and the sound is good for such a small device. I have multiple 3.5" and 8" devices. The 3.5" has only a 500Mhz Arm processsor but it does well. So far playing with two HA applications on it. One is a custom screen builder for XPL in which a LAMP server is configured with PHP; it does well. The other is a cutom flash just polling the web interface of the HA server. It also does descent. Both of these I configure with an XML file on either the LAMP server or the HA server. The base HA server is running a few XAP applications and an XAP hub. It interacts with Zonminder's (12 video feeds) ZMXAP application for security "stuff"; ie: trigger events and recordings.

Kevin,

I recently got a Joggler to play with. I'm very impressed with the device and all of the documentation related to modifications on it. I am currently running the customized Joggler Ubuntu 11.04 OS on it.

Would it be possible that I get a copy of your Joggler based HA application to give it a run on the Joggler to utilize the XAP/XPL traffic running on my network?

Automated Home Lurker

Default me too?

Quote Originally Posted by pete_c View Post
    Kevin,

I recently got a Joggler to play with. I'm very impressed with the device and all of the documentation related to modifications on it. I am currently running the customized Joggler Ubuntu 11.04 OS on it.

Would it be possible that I get a copy of your Joggler based HA application to give it a run on the Joggler to utilize the XAP/XPL traffic running on my network?

can i have a copy of the latest beta5 for my hah?

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Kevin

just to say im interested in the BETA for this too
    would love to give it a go on my joggler

thanks

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Me too please

Hi Kevin

I've PM'd you as well - can you let me have the latest revision, please.....ta!