Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: xAP Flash nee Joggler beta 5

Default generic messages

The parsing of the generic xap message example I gave earlier, extracting tempc from a weather report , now works in beta5c

Thanks

Kevin T

Automated Home Sr Member BodgeIT's Avatar

Great new feature Kevin, I'm sure I'll think of something work with it, feature request for the new feature...a <delay> parameter in secs.

Also am still a bit confused and I am still unable to get info from my CurrentCost box to show in textbox.

The parameter tags you're referring to are for use within generic schema <schema>generic</schema> only and then should be within a <generic> section . They would be named <Class> <parameter>and <type> and you would need a <body> tag too. You are however using schema<xAPBSC> so they are not used here

Does this mean in the textbox I can't get the content of displaytext instead of text from my xAP message. I thought it was something like:
    <textbox>
    <xAP>
    <parametertype>
    </xAP>
    <mode>text</mode> what other textbox modes are there?
    </textbox>

and then for generic:
    <button>
    <xAP>
    <schema>generic</schema>
    <generic>
    <parameter>
    </generic>
    </xAP>
    </button>

Is this no longer the case?
    Can I get a new copy of the xml bible?

** EDIT **
    Scratch that! I got BSC info in my Textboxes....I had to reboot my joggler after loading the new .swf file.
    Previously I had just stopped xAPFlash, loaded file and restarted...it must still run in memory/background!

Still no improvement in formatting of text in textbox though not even using CDATA and HTML
    Last edited by BodgeIT; 23rd September 2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by BodgeIT View Post
    Great new feature Kevin, I'm sure I'll think of something work with it, feature request for the new feature...a <delay> parameter in secs.
    I've got to do some thinking about the role of the Joggler and the features. It's really a display front end and should be used in conjunction with a xAP controller of some form. Adding control features into xAP Flash , whilst I expect an obvious attraction especially to newer xAP users, is going to create a huge code undertaking. It also doesn't fit in with the way I run my xAP setup - so there's no real incentive for me to do it. Of course someone might come along willing to contribute to the AS3 code and implement this.

Whilst a single (delay) is easy to implement - that would rapidly become a configurable delay per message - and then you could get multiple overlapping triggers - and then there would be periodic requests and a scheduler... triggers from other messages ... you can see the progression. But I do believe a scheduler would be a useful code addition for a lot of users.
    Can I get a new copy of the xml bible?
    The only change so far is are the two tags <on> and <off> within a <xAP> section - I'm looking for correction information and when I release beta 5 formally then it'll hopefully be right...
    ** EDIT **
    Scratch that! I got BSC info in my Textboxes....I had to reboot my joggler after loading the new .swf file.
    Previously I had just stopped xAPFlash, loaded file and restarted...it must still run in memory/background!
    It's cached after the first load - the config files aren't though, although if you persist the config it may take a second restart to take effect.

Did you use a 'generic' or 'xAPBSC' schema ? To pickup displaytext instead of text using xAPBSC you would use <mode>displaytext</mode> instead of <mode>text</mode>
    Still no improvement in formatting of text in textbox though not even using CDATA and HTML
    phew... not even looked at that Gary ....it's specific to the Joggler but it'll percolate to the top of the todo list in time.. keep an eye on the beta release notes - if it says it's fixed ,and it isn't then shout again...

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 23rd September 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks Kevin.
    IMHO I think you should add the <delay> tag which operates between messages and then stop there.
    The "intelligence" of my system is and always will be the HAH(At least while I'm in this flat). The flexibility and sophistication provided by the plugboard will not be surpassed by anything on the Joggler. I think offering a certain 'degree' of sophistication is more than adequate. For me, the Joggler(and xAPFlash on it) is very much the "handiest" interface for controlling my HA but won't be more than that.

Are the Doc updates usefull? Happy to support in anyway.
    Incidentally, I've tried to "run" xAPFlash locally and access via a browser but can't get that to work, could you add a quick "howto" to docs?

** EDIT ""
    I've made some progress on formatting. Don't know how, but have managed to get font size changes to work. Will experiment a little more tomorrow...er today.
    Last edited by BodgeIT; 24th September 2010 at 02:14 AM.

The work on the docs is much appreciated - I just haven't had much time to have a look through your editing changes but I'm sure everyone will benefit from your efforts.

Re running within a browser - search in the 'Getting Started' document for this paragraph and that should get you going...

"You will not be able to test this actually on your Joggler unitil you've completed the steps below but you can test it on a PC within Adobe Flash or a web browser... "

K

Re running within a browser - search in the 'Getting Started' document for this paragraph and that should get you going...
    That'll teach me to RTFM properly before diving in with silly question!

Default generic messages and textbox background alpha/image

Generic message parsing and displaying in a button works fine, but now putting it into a text box

When I do this, the data value is written into the **first** available text box on the page using the default, ie not html set, text attributes for the box.

Also trying to get the background attributes on a textbox working using
    <background>
    <alpha>...</alpha>
    <image>...</image>
    </background>

I am unable to see any effrect of setting alpha to 0.1, 0.5, 1.0 or loading a background image into a text box. Can you check it out and/or provide a working example xml section for this?

Thanks

KevinT

Kev, I think there's a <visible> tag that sits in <background>, have you tried that?
    Last edited by BodgeIT; 24th September 2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling

I've noticed that the screensaver no longer kicks in on beta5c, is this by design?
    Last edited by Kevin; 24th September 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kev_t View Post
    Also trying to get the background attributes on a textbox working using
    <background>
    <alpha>...</alpha>
    <image>...</image>
    </background>

I am unable to see any effrect of setting alpha to 0.1, 0.5, 1.0 or loading a background image into a text box. Can you check it out and/or provide a working example xml section for this?

Ahh - sorry the <image> tag should not be shown as valid within a textbox background element. A textbox background can only have a solid or absent <background><colour> of varying transparency. alpha should have worked for any displayed text though. Once you set a background colour and <background><visible>true it's much easier to see the efefcts of alpha.

I'll look into the other issue..

K

edit: the <alpha> tag needs to be at the <textbox> root level however as it applies to the whole textbox - not just it's background. I have corrected the spreadsheet that showed it valid at both levels. I will repost the spreadsheet soon, so let me know of any other errors you spot.
    Last edited by Kevin; 24th September 2010 at 04:00 PM.