Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: xAP Flash nee Joggler beta 5

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

just to say, this is a great thread - gives lots on insights ...

Quote Originally Posted by BodgeIT View Post
    I've noticed that the screensaver no longer kicks in on beta5c, is this by design?
    Have a look at this tag in the beta 5 docs... you might have to set it false in your XML

<pausescreensaver>

K

Default background

Well I have added visible to background, and a set of variations to alpha and colour and I still can't see any difference - alpha refers to the transparancy of the text in the textbox - is that right, must be missing something

Anyway the effect I wanted was the background of the page showing through the background of the textbox, so that the text only sat on the page and I get that with

<background>
    <visible>false</visible>
    </background>

so happy with that for now

Thanks
    KevinT

Smile Great Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    just to say, this is a great thread - gives lots on insights ...
    Yes great thread, and a great job Kevin & Martyn, et al are doing

Anyway we enjoy teasing you

Maybe post some pics when i pause for breath

KevinT

beta 5 d now posted:

Changes:

Pages (specifically last page) with no buttons still load text elements and don't cause hang at startup.

Includes version number in heartbeat.

<xAP><on> and <off> now prevent spoofing of UID and Source. Messages will always be sent from the xAPFlash source address/UID. Included XML must still have a source= and UID= parameter but the value may be blank (or anything) as it will be substituted.

The wrong (always first) textbox element was being populated with text when using generic schema.

I have looked at but so far been unable to remedy the textBox font display issue on a Joggler client.

K

PS KT - I edited my previous response to you re <alpha> which does work if you move the tag.
    Last edited by Kevin; 24th September 2010 at 04:05 PM.

Smile generic message parsing - textbox

The parsing of parameters from generic xAP messages, in this example a weather report, into text boxes now works great, thanks

As promised, a teasing screendump of my test screen

(the borders around the textboxes are for my guidance and can be easily removed)

KevinT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BodgeIT
    I'm trying to apply alpha settings across all my buttons
    At the moment <alpha> in the spreadsheet shows as a ? within the overrides and doesn't show at all within <defaults>. However Martyn is moving all the <defaults> to be useable in <overrides> and also within <page>. Some <defaults> that are shown there currently in the spreadsheet might not be implemented quite yet in config.xml. I am assuming <alpha> will be supported too but I'm not sure ... Martyn ??

This should make the next beta but FTTB you would have to include <alpha> in each button...

K

Ahhh - you've deleted your original post Gary...
    Last edited by Kevin; 24th September 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member martynwendon's Avatar

Current plan is to allow anything that could perceivably be defaulted to be set at both <overrides> and <page> level.

I've also begun to sanity check some of the XML tags to make sure internal hardcoded defaults are used in the event of duff or non-existent tag values - this is the start of a bigger re-write of the way we currently retrieve and validate tags, so is quite time consuming, not to mention boring :-( But I don't mind doing it and it leaves Mr H free to sneak in more great functionality :-)

I'm getting there slowly, been a bit swamped with work this week again so not had as much free time as I'd hoped!

Should have something useable by the end of the weekend hopefully :-)

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    At the moment <alpha> in the spreadsheet shows as a ? within the overrides and doesn't show at all within <defaults>. However Martyn is moving all the <defaults> to be useable in <overrides> and also within <page>. Some <defaults> that are shown there currently in the spreadsheet might not be implemented quite yet in config.xml. I am assuming <alpha> will be supported too but I'm not sure ... Martyn ??

I think these will be in the next beta but FTTB you would have to include <alpha> in each button...

K

Ahhh - you deleted your post Gary...

Automated Home Sr Member BodgeIT's Avatar

Default Embarrased.

Hi Kevin,
    Yes I deleted post because I started to understand the logic of the override, although I still don't like it.
    It's like a perverse logic and takes a bit of getting used to.
    Once I saw it's purpose I decided not to comment.

Anyhow I've been tweaking a little. I'm not seeing the functionality of background that I'd expect.

I get that page defaults to location 0,0 and that all we can do is move a "sized" background around that page using <posY><posX>. At the moment I'm trying to use this as a highlighting background to group my buttons.

I just can't get the background to show on the page.

Here's my config for the page ... (buttons removed for simplicity):

<page NAME="Control">
    <width>355</width>
    <height>266</height>
    <visible>true</visible>
    <alpha>0.8</alpha>
    <group>Center</group>
    <background>
    <visible>true</visible>
    <image>back-control.jpg</image>
    </background>
    ....<buttons>
    .....<textboxes>
    </page>

what I'm trying to do is surround the buttons with the background, effectively grouping them. I'm expecting the above script to drop my background
    onto the screen into position 0,0. I was then going to move it to the correct position. I just don't see the background.
    I remember you mentioning about setting defaults and that if they weren't set, that items could disappear but I have a default for the background set.
    I guess I could be confused about where I should set that.

Also:
    I think these will be in the next beta but FTTB you would have to include <alpha> in each button...
    It seems the moment you add <alpha> to the page, all buttons are affected although this may only be in effect when a <group> tag is used.

This is where I feel the current override logic simply fails and yet I get it works...wierd.
    Last edited by BodgeIT; 25th September 2010 at 12:41 AM.

Automated Home Sr Member BodgeIT's Avatar

Here's my latest screen. going for a carbon fibre look. I'll be creating some appropriate buttons as soon as I can.

It's a very simple layout because I don't actually have much to control, but I'd like to bring in some effective grouping techniques which should aid more complex layouts.

screen.jpg
    Last edited by BodgeIT; 25th September 2010 at 09:22 AM.