• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garry Spight
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2010

Newbie Here!

Hi everyone im new here and dont have any knowledge of this home automation.

I am interested in learning tho.

I am due to move house soon and want to start bringing home automation into my life.

The house im moving to is not a new build, so no cabling anywhere.

There is an overwelhing amount of info on here and I dont know where to start.

I would like to control stuff over the internet if possible, at the min I have a server for streaming media which is running server 2008 R2, a draytek 2820n router and 2 home plugs I also have a harmony 525 and an ipad.

I dont know if any of this stuff can be used in and install.

I would like to start with the lights and then on to media and then heating.

Please can someone help me I dont know where to start?

Do i run wires? do i go wireless?

Many thanks eveyone in advance
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

HA & multi-media, the degree of mix is an open point - intertwined or separate, not sure what's best, at the moment ...

have a look at Idratek, it can do the lighting & heating intelligently, and can work with Squeezebox for audio, and xAP for other stuff, and via browsers & MS Remote Desktop to provide links into other systems ...

we use Mac & EyeTV for TV & video, multi-channel & distributed, to desktops & laptops & 'phones & 'pods, and we're about to install Idratek for HA (lights, heating, security, taps, timers, etc), and Nabaztag (for messaging & interaction with mulitmedia & HA), and Zeta Fyreye (for fire), Y-Cam & Maxbotix for CCTV ... all of them at least worth a look !

other options, for various aspects, include EnOcean, EIB KNX, C-Bus, Dupline & Niko, Nice, Comfort, Abitana, AlertMe, plus Vellmann, Arduino & Cebek ... and others ... nothing does it all, all have strengths & weaknesses, with various degrees of involvement - but all are worth a look, and may do it for you !

X-10 is probably past its sell-by date, and Savant & AMX & Crestron are a bit expensive, but well worth a look ...

anyhow, that's maybe some clues ... no doubt others would suggest others, there's quite a lot out there !

Idratek & xAP have specific forums on Automated Home - so check those out, too ...

also have a look at :

Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 26 September 2010, 10:35 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Garry Spight
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2010

I just had a look at the idratek stuff looks like what im looking for.

Can I do a room at a time so I can add bit by bit.

I like the idea of the PLT001 : PIR/Light/Temperature Sensor

Can I run just the lights then add temp side when ready.

How do I make this all work? I take it you dont just screw it on the ceiling

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

yep, start with one & add as you please ...

toplogy is free - so inter-connect (with Cat-5 cable) as you wish, some modules go on pattress back-boxes, some on DIN-rails ...

the Cat- 5 coming out of a controller (Windows PC - your desktop, a dedicated MiniITX, Fit-PC, whatever option - ideally low-power - you choose to be on 24/7 - from an RS232 port, or USB port, a recent option) ...

Cat-5 UTP or (if intercom is to be part of the set-up) STP ...

there was recently a discussion on controller options on the Idratek forum ...

big plusses for Idratek are good sensor fusion, allowing real presence sensing, affordability, and user-interface offering real ability to set things up smartly, good range of sensors plus a wide-ranging ability to utilise other sensors (reed switches, PIRs, micro-switches, push-buttons, etc) - and plenty more, too, including multi-networks, e-mail interaction, etc, etc - their website has details ...

others worth a look, too, of course ...
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 26 September 2010, 10:29 PM.
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
        X