• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrFluffy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2005

wall embedding display

Any practical tips on embedding some output panels in a wall?
    I plan on using a atom based mini pc, and a off the shelf lcd display and can sort the bezel/facia out without too much hassle, and Ive already form the hole/box from rapid rails and plasterboard and ran cat5/power to it. The display will be a mythtv frontend, with interface to the main house HA system.
    What concerns me is ventilation heat removal from the space as Ive noticed that lcd screens appear to get very hot on the rear panel direct on the few Ive been testing, to the extent that in one case I had to space off the vesa mounting bracket which carried the mini pc to stop it being overheated by conduction.

Current thinking is around sloping the roof of the space to some vents and a grille at the top and relying on natural conduction to ventilate, or fans if needed in the box (though experience shows a year or two down the line, they tend to get noisy and need replacement so prefer to avoid). Maybe they could be thermostatic or something, not certain if its better to keep a fan at constant speed or vary it to demand as both sorts seem to go bad a year or two into usage and drive me potty with bad bearing noises. Sustainable, livable with long term and reliable score more points than uber high tech...

What clever but simple solutions have others come up with?
  • MrFluffy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2005

None it seems. Am I really the only person to have embedded his own kit into the wall and come across heat extraction issues???

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Missed this one.
      Is there a cavity behind the screen etc. If this cavity is large enough then It should be ok as is. Since the heat will get dispersed into the cavity. Where will the computer be located. If you do go for extra cooling then go for good quality fans, as you may not be able to get to them easily.
      Last edited by toscal; 2 November 2010, 07:04 PM.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
      X