USB controller lamp with dimmer - does it exist ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soitjes
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2010

USB controller lamp with dimmer - does it exist ?

Hi,

I would like to make a wakup module with my PC, and so I'm looking for a cheap way to control a lamp from my PC. The idea is to gradually increase light so that I wakeup gently.

I know some of those USB lamps (very cheap), but does anybody know a model that can be dimmed from the PC ? Or should I immediately go for the home automation controllers (= expensive) ?

All ideas are welcome.

Soitjes.
    My Digital Home Server - http://www.digitalhomeserver.net
  • Ad
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2004

I don't think there are any straightforward out of the box solutions (entirely possible with DIY though - PIC and a Triac, depends on your level of electronics knowledge) that are USB dimmer modules (and with the associated sockets/plugs).

If you are going to be running your PC 24x7 (which I take it you will) then I would say go for one of the common Home Auto protocols (X10/ZWave).

If you go for the CM11 and an X10 Dimmer Module (you could also go for one with the 64 dim levels), or indeed any other of the technologies. At least then you can expand on the system, I know you may not think of it at the minute but you never know, once you program your wake up light you may want to switch on a light downstairs etc.

I know the X10 CM11 SDK was released and although it was some years ago when I used it in VB6 it was pretty easy to program, I don't know about ZWave though.

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

If you just want one light then there are USB interfaces out there, but for a little more money you could get yourself an X10 system and control more lights.
      Here are some links for you.

Also try googling for philips color kinetics hack or words along those lines. I know a few people have hacked them.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

Is there a particular reason you want to use a PC? If all you want is the result then you can get some dedicated off the shelf products. Quick search on the internet for example:

bodykind promote a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle by offering the most rigorously selected natural health & beauty products. All supported by exceptional customer service.

Seem to be called 'dawn simulators' as a general search term

Comment

• julietmoore11
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Sep 2010

Good idea

Hello Soitjes, I think itīs a very good idea , in fact I would like to get one too.
          Why donīt YOU try to create that module ?? . Ask an engineer for instructions so you can do it!!

Comment

• MadArtSoft
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2010

Hi,

I work with Home automation systems. I've build a device which can control relays, switches over internet. The mentioned device is just 10cmx10cm. You don't need to run your PC. My device also controls ZWave system.

If you want more info please send me an email.

Comment

Working...
            X