• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cameron_fry
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2010

x10 Interference

Hi,

I now there have been many questions on this subject but before i invest in a filter or do away with the light position can i ask if a standard surge protector/filter strip adapter you can buy offers any filtering for x10? this question may well demonstrate my lack of technical qualifications but would rather not spend another £28 for a Marmitek one

Thanks
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

If its a proper filter strip, and not just a surge protector strip then it will help. But a decent one is going to cost a lot more than 28 pounds.
    X10 filters, filter out specific frequencies, where as a normal mains filter filters out a wider range. So may not get rid of the problem completely.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Ad
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2004

I found a filter on eBay (the kind I think you can fit to certain sensitive computer equipment) and it did kind've work with an X10 problem I was having - cost £5 but may not work for everyone.

What problem are you having? There may be other solutions...

Comment

• cameron_fry
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Oct 2010

Thanks both for your help. its not a critical light so may use the plug elsewhere.

thanks again

Comment

• TT_Gully
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2009

Hi, Just to add a question to this thread on interference.

I have an X10 set up controlling mainly lights within the house. All has been working fine for the last 8 months. However recently the lights have stopped responding to commands and turning on intermittently. there have been no new electrical items added to the house and no changes in the wiring. The only thing I can put the change down to is the tumble dryer decided to stop working in a rather spectacular way. The heater thermostat blew and made a few sparks. No fuses tripped on the main fuse box but since this point (I think) the lights have been miss-behaving.

I have carried out the usual tests as posted on other posts and tracked it down to the computer set up and the TV/Media equipment. Both these set ups have various bits of kit plugged into a 4 way multi plug adaptor. Unplugging both adaptors and everything works fine again. I have ordered 2 plug in filters to see if this cures the problem but was just wondering what might suddenly cause electrical devises to start causing interference. I could understand if they were doing it from the start but everything was working fine.

Comment

• Creagan
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jul 2009

I have a neighbour (I think!) that send out x10 signals randomly - like in 3:12 AM and the some other weird time. I was also thinking of getting a filter, but now considering a whole-house-filter, keeping my signal in, and his out

Are you sure you dont have a neighbour that thinks his funny?

Comment

• TT_Gully
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Dec 2009

None of the people near by have a clue about X10 so I can be fairly certain that there are no odd signals coming in. It has been working fine for months without any glitches. Obviously just got lucky. I thought the sparks might have introduced some form of interference and was hoping tuning all the power off might clear it, but no luck. Will have to see if the filters solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X