Thread: Evohome multiple radiators in one zone – inconsistent behaviour of each rad controlle

Automated Home Guru

Default Evohome multiple radiators in one zone – inconsistent behaviour of each rad controlle

Hi
    I have followed a number of the threads in this section and have found them extremely useful when setting up a new Honeywell Evohome system. However, I have found a curious situation of my own setup and I am hoping that someone will be able to advise me.

I have installed a Honeywell Evohome system with one controller and 14 radiator actuators

The set up uses all 8 zones with a number of zones containing multiple actuators with one in each zone set as sensor.

I have observed that the radiators in a zone appear to be controlled at different rates to each other. One radiator may be cool whilst the other is hot. This is a consistent pattern across all zones which have multiple radiators in (3 zones have this set up with the number of radiators up to 3 in a zone).

The correct temperature is achieved and all start and stop according to the controller times. It is purely during the running time that I notice this behaviour.

My issue with this is that within a zone two radiators in different rooms behave differently and so one room will get to the correct temperature but the other room doesn’t always. It doesnt depend whether it is the one acting as the sensor either.

In one of zones the radiator valves are identical but in the others the valves differ. I have tried setting the HR80UK to FULL operating mode but there is no difference. I have also tried swapping controllers and at first the rad that was closed now opens appearing to indicate that the HR80UK is set differently but after a day they revert indicating that the HR80UK is “correcting” itself again.

I am not sure if this is correct behaviour but if so it does appear to indicate that a zone must only be one room as the HR80UKs operate differently in a zone.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

BTW – brilliant system even if above is correct as finally have full independent control of each room - :-)

Many thanks in advance

Automated Home Jr Member

I've just typed up a long and considered response to your post, but by the time I came to hit the Reply button I'd been logged out, so lost the reply. Can't be bothered to type it all again. Sorry.

Automated Home Jr Member

Are you sure your radiators are balanced?

Take all the equipment off the radiators and make sure they all get hot at the same time, If they dont google balancing central heating.

Fon

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Are you sure your radiators are balanced?

Take all the equipment off the radiators and make sure they all get hot at the same time, If they dont google balancing central heating.

Fon
    Hi Fon

Thanks for the reply - yes they are all balance with a 10c drop. It is peculiar as when I swap the control valve over then initially the radiator will now get hot but then once the valve shuts off and restarts it adjusts itself to the initial behaviour so it appears to be a conscience action.

I have reduced the impact by not allowing the sensor to control the multiple valves and allowing them to sense and control themselves. Seems a lot better now.

Thanks

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    I've just typed up a long and considered response to your post, but by the time I came to hit the Reply button I'd been logged out, so lost the reply. Can't be bothered to type it all again. Sorry.
    Thanks for the thought. I know how you feel though and after having that happen a number of times on forums I now always compose the reply in word and then copy and paste in so even if the submit fails I can redo it easily.
    Cheers

Automated Home Jr Member

It could also be that your TRV's are old, and the pin is sticking down,

Fon