Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR80 evotouch binding problems

Automated Home Lurker

Angry HR80 evotouch binding problems

Hi,
    I've trouble binding HR80's to the Evotouch controller. The BDR91 relais bind correctly, but the HR80's do not.
    I'm going through the procedure by pressing the button on the HR80 for about 1 second, after which it shows the version number. The I click the bind button on the Evotouch controller and I see SYNC appearing in the display of the HR80.
    But I never get a confirmation on the Evotouch, like I did when I binded the BDR91. And the Evotouch complains that binding is incomplete.
    I tried resetting the Evotouch to factory settings, removing batteries from the HR80, distance between the two has been reduced to 10cm.
    Since I can successfully bind the BDR91 and the issue occurs with each of the six HR80 I have, I'm probably making some basic mistake.
    If anyone can help, I would much appreciate it.

Automated Home Jr Member

On the HR80 take the batteries out and then press the bind button while putting them back in, this clears any existing binding. Then try again.

Automated Home Jr Member

Another thing that may catch you out, is the RF tests. When you have binded to your sensor it prompts you for a RF test. For this to work the sensor has to be manually put into test mode, so don't be concerned if it shows as failed if you think it has all worked ok when you are back in the home screen click on menu and system overview this shows the status of all your sensors you should see it showing a temperature there try heating the sensor up with a hair dryer and you will see the temp change... but it is not instantaneous it only checks every few minutes.

How long have you had your evotouch? how is it going generally? I've only had mine a few days and am learning like you, at the moment it's not all installed yet.

Automated Home Lurker

There's some progress, the binding seems to work, but the comms test fails and I do not have the temperature readout for the zones on the Evotouch.

I'm also fairly new to the Evohome system, and judging by the number of replies in the forum and knowledge with suppliers, most of us are.
    I got mine from Siwako in Rotterdam, where one of the staff had a Honeywell training on Evohome.

I've now (last weekend) set up three zones and they behave like intended.
    The problem I tried to tackle was a fairly familiar one: Only the room with the thermostat would get warm, the rest of the house wouldn't.
    The house is connected to a district heating system, so I do not have a boiler at home. The thermostat was controlling a valve in the heating supply pipe, it is now controlled by a BDR91 relais.
    The three zones are kitchen (2x HR80), hall (1xHR80) and living (3x HR80). I want an additional HR80 for the home office. The bedrooms are left with simple thermostat controls for the rads, maybe when the kids grow up I'll replace those as well.
    I terms of comfort there's no comparison to the old situation (winter came at a perfect time to test), and I start feeling that this was a good investment.
    I would like to enable the temperature readout in the Evotouch for all the zones, I hope that is feasible using just the HR80 in the zone.

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm hoping to get mine installed this weekend. I've got 8 zones and am using seperate DT92e thermostats in 4 of them (plus the internal senor in the evotouch) the rest will use the sensors in the HR80's. I've just been playing up to now, i've setup all the zones and the DT92e's and all is looking good i can see all the temperatures, i did try and setup a HR80 and like you had problems until i reset the original binding on it, it was then acepted as a sensor and then i also added it as an actuator and i could see the temperature of it on the evotouch so i don't know why you can't see yours. When i've had a go at setting it all up properly i might have an answer.

One thing when adding the sensor it gives you two options (i can't remember the exact wording) one is a normal remote sensor and one for interactive remote sensor. I think the normal remote sensor is just for passive devices that report the temperature and the other for devices that can act on the temperature. I'm guessing the HR80's would be the interactive option.

Automated Home Lurker

Ah, now I feel I'm getting somewhere. You said you added the HR80's twice? Once as a sensor and once as a rad controller? The Dutch docs do not mention this (or I overlooked it..).
    I'll have a go at it and let you know if that works.

Automated Home Lurker

That was it: I went in to the config menu, zoneconfig, temp sensor, external sensor, 1 zonetemp, and pressed the bind button on the HR80. And presto, the Evotouch now reports on all zones. Many thanks!!

Now let's see if the BDR91 opens the main valve if there is a heat demand from any of the zones.

Automated Home Jr Member

Excellent, keep me posted on how you are finding day to day running, any tips etc.

Mine will be going live soon and with this freezing weather there will be lots of complaints from the family if it goes wong.

Automated Home Jr Member

Nappyshock (or anyone else), Can I ask with your DT92s on an evotouch system how do they work in practice and what features do they give you? I am considering having a multi-zone system with an evotouch panel to look after the whole house and some DT92s in guest bedrooms. Zoning will be achieved through HR80s on the rads. It is a holiday house and the the guest bedrooms are used quite frequently in various combinations but rarely are they all used. I am hoping the DT92s can be used to switch them in and out of the heating program i.e. hoping you can switch a room off from the DT92 and it will remain off until it is switched back on irrespective of the heating program from the evotouch. I know that changing the set point on HR80s gets over-ridden at the next set point change. Asking guests to set up a program on the main panel and then remember to delete that program when they leave does not seem practical for switching rooms in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtears View Post
    Nappyshock (or anyone else), Can I ask with your DT92s on an evotouch system how do they work in practice and what features do they give you? I am considering having a multi-zone system with an evotouch panel to look after the whole house and some DT92s in guest bedrooms. Zoning will be achieved through HR80s on the rads. It is a holiday house and the the guest bedrooms are used quite frequently in various combinations but rarely are they all used. I am hoping the DT92s can be used to switch them in and out of the heating program i.e. hoping you can switch a room off from the DT92 and it will remain off until it is switched back on irrespective of the heating program from the evotouch. I know that changing the set point on HR80s gets over-ridden at the next set point change. Asking guests to set up a program on the main panel and then remember to delete that program when they leave does not seem practical for switching rooms in and out.
    The behaviour of DT92s is no different to HR80s, the setpoint adjustment will be reset by the standard time programme. So on this case they offer no benefit over the HR80s apart from showing the setpoint on the wall rather than at the radiator.