• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calbug
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2010

X10 across two consumer units

Hi all...hope you can help with this one

I've just had a second consumer unit installed to supply ring main & lighting circuit to a conversion & extension (existing consumer unit didn't have capacity to incorporate new circuits).

I already had a TF678 coupler / filter fitted, so I hooked that up to the new consumer unit...doesn't work, but wasn't 100% expecting it to as I think that device is meant for split phases within the same consumer unit (?)

So, my question is, how can I "couple" the two consumer units to get X10 across all my sockets & lights?

I've attached a diagram of current setup in case it helps

Thanks in advance....!
    Attached Files
  • Tudor
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2008

I have exactly the same setup as you, but no filter. I have X10 devices on both consumer units. It's all MK equipment with Com1 80Amp RCD and Com2 40Amp RCD. (Com2 also has 3 X10 Din Rails units in it). Everything works ok, I have 12 X10 devices spread between the two boxes.
    Last edited by Tudor; 2 December 2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• calbug
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2010

Well you gave me some inspiration! I removed the filter/coupler & the whole thing worked first time. Looks like the 678 was blocking signal from getting to the second consumer unit because it was in the wrong place...(should be on service fuse to meter neutral tail!)

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

I have X10 units working across three consumer units. I have a combined whole house filter and surge protector, and this is connected just after the main breaker. Everything splits just after the filter unit.
        Your coupler is really designed for connecting across different phases, but if you connect the L1, L2 and L3 connections in parallel then it can be used in a single phase installation.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X