• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wolverine40
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2005

How to wire up my dimmer switch

Can anyone help me i'm a newbie and i have a problem trying to wire up my dimmer switch.my old switch is wired like this,2 red wires into L1 1 red wire into L2 and a black wire into L3.My new switch (dimmer) looks like this the 1st one looks like a ~ with a diagonal arrow through it the next one is L2 and the next is L1.Does anyone hve any ideas there are 3 switches in the room and they operate 2 lights.Hope you can help.Atb wolverine40.
  • Jakey
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2005

Re: How to wire up my dimmer switch

Ok, this is difficult to explain but easy. One of the terminals is what is known as the "common" and the others are normally L1 and L2. They are there depending on if the circuit is one way, i.e. only controlled from the one switch or two way (2 switches some distance apart that control the same light - e.g. typical hall/landing set up)

What you need to do is work out what one of the the wires is the common, on the old switch it will be the one that is permanently live and I guess in your case most likely a red. This should go to the common on the new switch. Not sure, but I assume when you say its new there was some box or packaging? normally there is a little leaflet in there that may say which terminal is what.

The other wires are called "strappers" and from what you have said my gues is that they run off the the second switch. Note: You can have a dimmer at both ends of a 2way switching set up! (I mean that you can use standard dimmers to do it with, otherwise you get low volts and pulsing of the lights). I can send you a diagram if you send me your e.mail.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Ex-sparky Jake

Comment

• bmcomp
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2004

Hi,

I'm no sparky but I've just finished wiring my house and I'm guessing on the way the lights are usually done that the two red going into L1 is the common (feed coming in and back out to next switch). But it could be the end line switch where the feed ends which means it could be L2. Usually the common would be on one end and the other two are beside each other at the other end of the switch. The other red in L2 looks like it would be the switch wire to the light and L3 is the strapper going to the other switch.

Also I was told that if you put the feed into the wrong one it just causes the switch to turn the light on when the switch is the off position and off in the on position. I'm sure I've seen the ~ with the arrow on a few switches and this is the common. So I would put the L1 into the ~, L2 into L1 and L3 into L2 and you should be fine. Don't electrocute yourself ~8O~. Pictures may help!

Comment

• susanwoodward
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Mar 2005

Can anyone help please I purchased a dimmer switch and cant find the instructions is just a one switch and I remember where to attach the live wire what I cant remember is which way round the red and black go either black on the left or red appreciate any help thanks

Sue

Comment

Working...
        X