• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geps
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2010

Part P and Rewires

Hi Guys,

I've been reading the forums over the past few days and weeks reading up on various elements. I'm in the process of purchasing a 3 bed semi that will need significant work. I'm currently at the stage of working out whether it's cheaper to Part-P-train-and-self-certify a full HA based rewire than to find an HA friendly sparkie.

As an Electronics R&D Engineer it's more the legislation I need to get up to speed on than the actual circuits and theory.

Has anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

If you have the time to read up etc then why not. Your local technical college may also run courses. I know some run weekend courses.
    If its cheaper or not only you will know. If you use an electrician then you may have the possibility of having to explain everything in detail and maybe showing an electrician how it gets connected. Its not normally an issue unless time is a factor.
    At least if you do it yourself you will know where everything is.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Gumby
      • May 2004

My understanding is that there is a difference between self-certification and inspect and test.

Self-certification allows a qualified electrician to sign off an installation without requiring building control approvals and inspection. The definition of qualified seems to involve membership of certain trade bodies, such as NICEIC or NAPIT. These usually require on-the-job experience and a hefty annual fee, making it pretty awkward for the amateur (and/or cowboy).

However, you are entitled to perform your own installation as long as you notify building control. They should arrange for necessary inspection and test as part of the notification fee. They hate this, because it costs them more to hire a qualified inspector than the fee covers. Expect them to try to dissuade you with all kinds of tales about having to rip everything out if they find a single screw out of place

Whether you can get the C&G I&T certification and use this to persuade building control that you are qualified to inspect & test your own work and hence save them money is for further study...

To be fair, a good sparky is worth their weight in gold - it's not just the knowledge of correct methods for compliance with the regs, it's also the experience of getting wires routed through buildings. Don't discount talking to a few and seeing if any seem receptive working on something a little out of the ordinary.
      ----------------------
      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Geps
        Automated Home Guru
        • Nov 2010

Thanks Guys,

I think I'll read up on the various regs via books and then go from there once I know what everything involves.

Comment

• nickgale
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2005

As an owner of a Part P registered installation business I would suggest you go down the notification route for a one off job. In other words you notify building control that you intend to do the work yourself, they will then inspect the work during the various stages and issue a building regs certificate at the end of the job. To self certify you would need to be a business and register with either NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT, etc. and go on a 17th edition course and invest £500 + in test gear, be inspected and show a number of previous installations, all in all you'd spend at least £1K on this. If this is a one off then notification is the best option.

Comment

• Geps
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2010

Cheers Nick.

I've looked into it abit further and I agree. I've since found that there's a friend of a friend who can certify the work if he's happy with what I've done.

Just need to get the house purchased now - we're about to start the searches.

Comment

Working...
            X