Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Automation startup - which to invest in?

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

an obvious thought was to use a USB-RS232 converter - but this seems to suggest it wouldn't work in this case ...

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...ead.php?t=2565

Quote Originally Posted by Creagan View Post
    Hi Chris,

That was close! I got REALLY excited, since 'bridging' to IRDAnet/tek and keeping existing kit sounds very good, but unfortunately this is for the CM12 module (or similar serial device/controller) - I have a CM15, which is USB, and works a treat! Easy to monitor with software and very stable. Nice thing is that you can have multiple connections or applications connect to it with no problem, unlike serial devices.

Thanks for the input though, wife will be pleased though, save alot by not being compatable....
    There are two possible connection routes to X10 from the IDRATEK system. One is via an X10/IDRANet module (XGW) and the other is directly via the PC running Cortex. The former allows purely Reflex actions to be conducted between an IDRANet and X10 with or without a PC being involved, whereas the latter means Cortex on the PC is the bridge and of course generally the controller. Although I can't say we've had any experience ourselves with a CM15, if it essentially appears and operates the same as the CM12 but just happens to use a virtual COM port then the direct Cortex connection might work. If you wanted to check it out at some point then you are welcome to contact us for an install key and you can then download and install the free 30 day trial Cortex and see if it works. It is actually possible for Cortex to operate purely on a limited set of X10 devices i.e with no IDRATEK hardware, but it is just on an output basis i.e. doesn't intercept incoming X10 data. So your wife may yet keep the smile

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Tim,

Yip - saw the filters, and immediately thought that I need one, regardless of other household signals getting in and out. Stupid thing is, to install one would need my whole staircase be removed. The previous owner thought it would be a great idea to build a staircase over the meter/distribution board. I have about 1 foot space to get to it, and needless to say, taking a meter reading or replacing a wire fuse (yes, people still use them!) is a bit like playing Houdini.

From what I recall, the house is rated at 80 Amps but then it could be 60 not sure, will have to crawl and check!

I might just sit in the dark and send random commands one early morning !

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    an obvious thought was to use a USB-RS232 converter - but this seems to suggest it wouldn't work in this case ...

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...ead.php?t=2565
    Chris - I posted a reply to the link you sent - the CM15 is very relyable, and adding RS232 converters etc is not an option (more money - more complications - more things to go wrong )

A am really happy with the CM15 and x10 seems good/ok for now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karam View Post
    There are two possible connection routes to X10 from the IDRATEK system. One is via an X10/IDRANet module (XGW) and the other is directly via the PC running Cortex. The former allows purely Reflex actions to be conducted between an IDRANet and X10 with or without a PC being involved, whereas the latter means Cortex on the PC is the bridge and of course generally the controller. Although I can't say we've had any experience ourselves with a CM15, if it essentially appears and operates the same as the CM12 but just happens to use a virtual COM port then the direct Cortex connection might work. If you wanted to check it out at some point then you are welcome to contact us for an install key and you can then download and install the free 30 day trial Cortex and see if it works. It is actually possible for Cortex to operate purely on a limited set of X10 devices i.e with no IDRATEK hardware, but it is just on an output basis i.e. doesn't intercept incoming X10 data. So your wife may yet keep the smile
    VERY tempting - I will have a look at this at some point - since I have a server running 24/7, I might as well look into a 'soft' solution.

Problem is, if it works, does what I want, and a bit more, the smile will not be in the wife - I will start spending and she will freak out! This is a hobby after all, and not essential for our living/existance though.

(although she finds it REALLY cool switching lights on/off with her phone!!!)