Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cortex And Alarm Integration

Well yeah - the windows aspect was the other part of my reasoning....I'm not aware of any Reflex-esque support for the alarm features, though I admit I haven't looked.

I think though it's just good design to have redundancy - especially where safety and security is concerned (which leads us right back to the worm topic!)

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

OTOH, more systems => more to go wrong ... and more to upset SWMBO ...

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    OTOH, more systems => more to go wrong ... and more to upset SWMBO ...
    Exactly....so surely it's far better to reduce the systems running on the PC

yep - the old conundrums, many app's fighting for space vs one trying to do it all, and relying on others completely vs retaining some ability to intervene ...

Automated Home Jr Member

Out of my experience and from what I hear from people using alarm systems in their houses, false alarms are mostly (if not always) caused by sensors - not by the system to which those sensors are connected.
    So an integrated system doesn't increase the number of false alarms. Furthermore, with Cortex, it's quite easy to spot those sensors because event logging is quite extensive.
    Regarding reliability - as long as You have a server dedicated to Cortex, which doesn't run too many other applications that constantly change and may go wild - there's not much to worry about. It should powered by a UPS of course.

Freaky......Have been contemplating fitting a flood alarm for a few days now......colleague comes in today and tells me her house has been flooded by the washing machine whilst they slept upstairs!

It's nice when the decisions get made for you

how will you do it - tray under each machine +sensor linked to digital inputs ... or add a meter & motorise the main stop-valve & have a Cortex macro do some logical checks ... or ... ???

our washings machines have start buttons that it would be relatively easy to link back to IdraNet, so Cortex could command their starting, with feedback via power & water meters, as a basis for such checks ...

No idea just yet....as soon as I start to get the various elements together I'll start to look at the options.

I'm thinking at the moment of sensors across doorways for areas like the kitchen where you have non absorbent floors. Under the machines can work but in the case of my colleague the kitchen sink got blocked quite far down...the washing machine then drained and with no where for the water to go out the sink it came. Needless to say an undertray wouldn't really have helped.

Quite a few options...I think I'll have a play when I've got the time and resources.

RE your washing machine idea.....I'll start a thread on that now.

interesting - when we lived in Germany, Bosch & Siemens made a big selling-point of their Aquastop technology, for stopping floods - it was a v.flat float sensor that sat in a tray somewhere under the machine ...

start-button & feedback ... the start-button would allow delayed start etc, based on presence & clocks etc ... the feedback bit might be quite tricky to get working, economically, and logically, when the details are gone-into ... good idea about a new thread !