• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Collectors
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2009

Help needed with DMX dimmers using 0-10 volt

Hi, hope you can help!
    I have 4xDMX dimmer units (16 dimmers in total) with the facility to control via 0-10 volt, but do not know anything about this side of electrics. Have enclosed a diagram of what i have (link below) and would want to have the 0-10 volt controls via a wall plate in the house. I want to avoid using a 16 channel DMX controller as it won’t look very nice bolted to the wall. lol.
    The few things i would like to find out is:
    1. Should the supply be exactly 10 volt & should it be regulated or un-regulated ?
    2. What value/size rotary Potentiometer should i use ?.
    3. And what terminals should i connect to.
    Diagram link. http://metestsite.co.uk/dmx%20dimmer.html

Many thanks

Chris.
    Regards Chris.
    Barnet Walks
    Collectors-info
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

a 10k pot should work just fine.

0V = 0ff or 0%
    +10v = Full or 100%
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• nickgale
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2005

10K linear pot is fine but you'll need a 10v regulated supply, dimmer works on principal of 10v = 100%, 5v = 50% ,etc. so unless you want your lights to dim and down randomly you'll need a regulated supply! Most 4 or 6 channel lighting desks used a zener diode and resistor for this, current is very low.

If I can find them I may have some circuit diagrams of some simple 6 channel lighting desks from 20 years ago which will give you the info you need to make a simple circuit board with the necessary components. I'll have a look this week for you.

Comment

• Collectors
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2009

Many thanks for the reply, that's a great help. On the connections, am i right in that the positive from the 10 volt regulated power supply would go to the 10k pot & from the pot to (lets say) the channel 1 pin & the negative to the ground, then repeat this with more pots for each channel.
        Regards Chris.
        Barnet Walks
        Collectors-info

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Here is a circuit I came up a while ago. It uses a 12V to 30Vdc supply. Originally it was going to be used with an LED colour change controller which uses 12Vdc supply and 0-10V to control the colours (hence three potentiometers). Its cheap to build, and you can expand it.
          Also if cost is not a problem, then this wall mounted DMX controller looks the part. The company that makes it is Mode Lighting
          Attached Files
          Last edited by toscal; 18 January 2011, 12:48 PM.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Collectors
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by toscal View Post
            Here is a circuit I came up a while ago. It uses a 12V to 30Vdc supply. Originally it was going to be used with an LED colour change controller which uses 12Vdc supply and 0-10V to control the colours (hence three potentiometers). Its cheap to build, and you can expand it.
            Also if cost is not a problem, then this wall mounted DMX controller looks the part. The company that makes it is Mode Lighting

Thanks for the reply! Think i will pass on the dimmer at that price (lol) & go with your diagram.

Many thanks

Chris.
            Regards Chris.
            Barnet Walks
            Collectors-info

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

funny, Thats what I thought . And why I came up with a simpler solution.
              So I guess its off to Maplin is it then.
              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Collectors
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                funny, Thats what I thought . And why I came up with a simpler solution.
                So I guess its off to Maplin is it then.
                Laugh! Where i live it would take longer to park near a Maplins than it would to get it posted. So i am taking the lazy route.

Cheers.
                Regards Chris.
                Barnet Walks
                Collectors-info

Comment

Working...
                X