Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Home Alarm?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Which Home Alarm?

Hi all,

Need to sort out my house alarm, am fed up with paying 150 quid a year for some service contract, just so some spotty teenager can come 'round, enter a myesterious 4 digit code that I'm not allowed to have because alarms are "complicated" and then tell me everything's OK just two weeks before the system goes off the rails and costs me another couple of hundred to straighten out. :x

Now that that's off my chest do any of you have some recommendations for a good alarm panel that can be installed to existing PIR's and can be managed by myself?

Nice to haves would be remote management via PC or phone and support for RedCare or similar.

I've looked at the Comfort system and think that's really cool although I was planning on solving the home automation problem a different way. I guess I'm interested in your views on stand alone alarm panels as well as the multi function (Comfort type) systems.

TIA

Dave

Default Re: Which Home Alarm?

Hi Dave

As you mention, the first thing we think of around here is Comfort...
    http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article1104.html

However if you have ruled that out several people have used the Visonic system...
    http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article772.html

M.

Automated Home Lurker

Not trying to step on anyones toes!

We have fitted alarms for the past few years and swear by Menvier or Scantronic alarm panels!

Favourite is the Menvier TS690 which has 6 zones plus 2 more built into each keypad and comes with the choice of LED of LCD keypads.

Or for a cheaper option the Scantronic 9448 style is a good reliable panel too!

I totally agree about the engineers mystery code etc as when we fit a system we dont offer any contract (above the 12month gtee period) because if a system is fitted properly there should be no problems apart from the system needing a replacement back up battery every few years!

I recommend that you ditch the contract, fit a new panel (or have one fitted) find a local alarm engineer and strike up a relationship where he/she will come out as and when needed for a nominal call out charge!
    Thus saving you money in the long term (but check with your insurers first!)

Thanks SJL. Do the Menvier or Scantronic systems you mention have any home automation features? X10 control, serial control etc?

M.

Automated Home Lurker

No unfortunately they are stand alone!

We tend to find that our customers want to keep the alarm system totally seperate!

which suits us as we only really do lighting,audio,home cinema,cctv and gates rather than complete automation!

Automated Home Lurker

I totally agree about the engineers mystery code etc as when we fit a system we dont offer any contract (above the 12month gtee period) because if a system is fitted properly there should be no problems apart from the system needing a replacement back up battery every few years
    Well then you shouldnt be installing systems at all if you arent offering a contract. Its morons like you that give the alarm industry a bad name. Although you may think they are a waste of time, any company worth their salt will charge a premium to idiotic customers who phone up their alarms going off at 3am and want someone to come and sort it out. Oh and your insurance company will no give you a discount unless the system is properly maintained.
    As to striking up a relationship with an engineer, i am an engineer and if any of you cheapskates tried it id tell you where to get off

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Mate
    Hi Dave

However if you have ruled that out several people have used the Visonic system...

M.
    i think a logic 4 should satisfy your needs...nice panel...

Automated Home Lurker

Hmm
    I think I would agree with Monteey on this one.

The whole point of the maintenance is so that you have someone to call when it goes wrong in the middle of the night not just the yearly preventative visit.

If you have an issue with your alarm company you should go to their inspectorate, and if they dont have an inspectorate well you pays your money and you takes your choice.

150 per annum seems a little ott though is the system monitored or fully comprehensive or rented???

We are NSI gold and would charge around 50.00 for audible only.(about the same as what you would save on your insurance premium for an NSI system)

Police responce is only available through an NSI or SSIAB approved alarm company and without Police responce there is very little point in paying out the 300 pa that BT charge for Redcare.

As to the chap thats installing alarm systems and not maintaining them have you not read B.S.4737 or B.S. E.N.50131 ? it is very irresponsible to install something that can become an enviromental problem in the future, and many companies such as yours have been successfully prosecuted for such.

Pete

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by misop
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Mate
    Hi Dave

M.
    i think a logic 4 should satisfy your needs...nice panel...
    I fear the logic 4 may be a little out of depth?