• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Which Home Alarm?

Lets keep the discussion friendly please people.

Thanks

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• AlarmEngineer
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2005

If you allow people on here that attack other trades and proffesions what do you expect Otto Mate.

The security trade has no wish to upset your forum or break any rules.

But there are enough diy systems and un maintained systems already ( I know I get called out by the eviromental department regularly to diss them) without a forum promoting more.

Pete

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

Pete

I didn't "allow" anyone to "attack" anyone else on here.

These forums, as with our mailing list, do not tollerate any kind of flaming or abuse. This is aimed at all participants on this thread.

Either keep it friendly or leave.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Monteey
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2005

Could have fooled me, the very theme of this thread seems to be that noone in the alarm industry can be trusted not to rip everyone off. Some of your posters seem to take great delight in misleading people into thinking we're all out to get them which is not the case.
          If you dont want us to react to totally ignorant critism then dont allow it to be published in the first place.

Comment

• AlarmEngineer
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2005

Ditto

Comment

• Otto-Mate
              Founder
              • Jan 2004

Monteey

This is a public forum, I do not moderate posts, however when things start degenerating I do step in. No one is saying you cannot reply to critisism of your industry, however my complaint is with the "tone" of some posts on this thread.

This now the third time I have made this point. I don't intend to make it again.

If you cannot play nice this thread will be deleted.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• blacky
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jan 2005

Hi

I had to put my Pennys worth in.

As a working alarm engineer for 23 years I believe I am qualified.

Everything that has been said by alarm engineer, Monteey, notnormalnorman is absolutely correct and the other comments are mis - guided to say the least. :evil:

We in the alarm industry have a hard enough time without Joe public being given advice that makes us look un - professional

if you decide to cancel / delete this posting Otto-mate then it will further prove my point so maybe you won,t

further comments please

b

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Feb 2004

Hi Guys
                  I have previously worked in the Alarm Industry here in Oz from 1983 to 1996 both as an employee and as a subcontractor.....back in 1983 the big boys in the industry employed alarm Cadets (apprentices) who were properly trained to install and service alarms....But unlike the electrical trade the security industry wasnt licensed so they started employing non tradespeople to install and service alarms...At that time they were at least trained .then...Subcontracting became the norm and no one employed apprentices no one tranined , hence a lot of cowboys out there..
                  In my own personal experience in the Security Industry (back then) my opinion was that it had its fair share of crooks.....An example a client was sold a direct line system (redcare???) and all he got was a dialler system.....
                  Another was one of the big companies, installers were siliconing the detectors to the wall....??? The list goes on........
                  Cant comment on what they are like today ,havent worked in the industry since 1996...but no way would i take a service contract with a large Company , i would go with a medium sized Company...
                  Service contracts are a great money spinner for the Secuity Companies
                  and should be of great value to the customer providing its carried out as per the contract details.........
                  Frank
                  Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
                  http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

• AlarmEngineer
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2005

Frank
                    I am not sure quite what you're post is trying to say, but the security industry in your country sounds ten times worse than ours.

In the uk trainees are not allowed to service alarm systems un-supervised(I refer to approved co,s).

Approved companies have to screen all their employees before they give them a contract.

The industry has its problems over here with unqualified Johnies like JML or whatever he likes to call himself, but it doesnt sound half as bad as the picture you paint for your country.

We have two national inspectorates so at least customers over here have a chance when things go wrong (so long as the choose a company that is approved )

Still 1996 was a long time ago lets hope things have improved in Oz.

Pete

Comment

• blacky
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Jan 2005

if i started siliconing detectors to walls i would be out of my ear!!
                      i had to laugh at your comments frank - even at our worse over here we hav,nt being as bad as you make out.
                      sure we had our bad apples , as per the watchdog programme but those are the ecxeption not the rule.
                      as pete says we have inspectorates and rules coming out of our ears, the only dodgy characters are the one man bands who start up today and wind up the following week.
                      if you want a decent alarm go to profesionally reconised company, it may cost you more but in the long term it will pay didvidends.
                      the same goes for servicing - if is a home alarm there is a lot you can do yourselves ie testing setting , activating sounders, bells, strobes using a different zone each time. but you also need batteries and wiring checking and for that you need the right test equipment - get a proffesinal in

paul

Comment

• joeyjones
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Jan 2005

Going back to the original post.
                        Can anyone recommend an alarm system/panel with at leat 6 programmable zones, with fire protection and a speech dialler, that can be DIY installed?

Thanks

Comment

• notnormalnorman
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by joeyjones
                          Can anyone recommend an alarm system/panel with at leat 6 programmable zones, with fire protection and a speech dialler, that can be DIY installed?

Thanks
                          Why not just pop in to your local CEF, I'm sure they will oblige :wink:

Comment

• Monteey
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Jan 2005

Thanks
                            I would advise speaking to a REAL professional company as the posters who initially replied id wouldnt let near a plug socket let alone an alarm system. Look in yellow pages under the NACOSS/SSAIB ad's, and YES you do need a contract despite ignorance to the contrary.

Comment

• AlarmEngineer
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Jan 2005

Ditto with the above, the alarm systems generally available to DIYers I wouldnt use to prop my door open (that reliable).

Look for an SSIAB/NSI-Nacoss approved installer and save money doing your own wallpapering.

Pete

Comment

• joeyjones
                                Automated Home Lurker
                                • Jan 2005

I wasn't actually looking for a Fisher Price DIY system, but I will take your advice and speak to a Pro.

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Working...
                                X