• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: I need help to install Cat 5

Originally posted by Dinarius
    I would also like FM radio in each room. Over here (Dublin) we get FM radio through our cable TV.

Can the CAT 5 be used for this or do I have to have the TV coax in each room?
    Hi Dinarius

When you say that you "get FM Radio through your cable TV", do you mean that ....

1. by connecting a normal FM Tuner to the incoming Cable feed you can tune in to it,

2. it is available as one of the channels on the Cable TV Box ?

There is a MAJOR difference between 1 & 2

If it is "1" then the signal is being received between 88-108 MHz which with suitable Baluns you will be able to pass over CAT5 cable.

If it is "2" then it is being carried within the cable TV Band which can be as wide as 2GHz bandwidth. Depending on where in the bad the signal appeared the losses in CAT5 cable could be extreme.

There are passive baluns that say they can carry the UHF TV Band which is 470-860MHz but the data sheets for those indicate severe losses at the upper end of the band.

For carrying RF frequencies I would always recommend using a good grade Co-ax cable. CAT5 is ideal for the distribution of Network, Phone, Fax and Baseband AV signals using suitable baluns.

For baseband applications please look at www.kat5.tv

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• vex
      Automated Home Guru
      • Feb 2005

The FM channels are physically available straight off the most cable tv systems.

All they tend to do is remodulate them slightly so they don't get interferance from the off air service.

I thought about it last night and for the cost of Coax and a little amp I would go the coax route. The cost and 'fiddlyness' of trying to do it over CAT5e will probably cost more.
      www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
      NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Dinarius
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jul 2005

Re: I need help to install Cat 5

Thanks guys.

The signal comes straight off the cable. Attached to the end of the cable is a small box (about the size of a light switch panel, only a little deeper) with two coax sockets on it. One is marked TV, the other FM. That's it.

Our cable supplier here has been gradually moving from analogue to digital. We are still analogue ( we have no interest in having dozens of TV channels or Sky Sports), so whether those who have switched to digital get their FM radio in a different way, I'm not sure.

I think I may as well run the CAT to the same rooms as the coax and be well covered. Make sense?

Thanks again.

D

Comment

Working...
        X