• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nad
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jul 2008

Virtual Temperature Object

Hi all,

I was wondering if it's possible to have a virtual temperature object that reports the temperature using the average of 2 or more other temperature sensors?

Basically, i want to put 3 external temperature sensors on the outside of the house and then have them feeding into a virtual sensor that would be known as "Outside Temperature". Why? Due to the way the house is orientated two of the sides (End Terrace) will always be in the dark and the other side will have the sun directly on it, so i think having an average of the 3 sensors will give me a more accurate idea of what the outside temperature is.

I'm having sensors on all 3 sides so I can have better control over the electric curtains in the summer, so when the sun goes on to one side and the inside temps is too warm i can have the curtains close to keep the room cooler.

Thanks,
    Nad
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

The only way I can think of doing it at present would be through a virtual HVAC object with the sensors connected as if room sensors and that HVAC object not connected to any boilers or zone valves, its set point settings turned to low values and its mode of operation to heating. If you wanted to see the average temperature next to the icon rather than just on the graph you'd have to change the global HVAC icon display option to temperature instead of set point, unfortunately this is a global setting rather than HVAC by HVAC i.e. it will affect other HVACs. So perhaps more of an academic answer ...

Comment

• Viv
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2004

You can already create a virtual temperature sensor object.
      Simply add a Temperature Sensor Module (DTS) and do not network enable it and leave its address as 0000.
      You can then connect the output of a real temperature sensor module into the alternative temperature source of the virtual temperature sensor object.
      Multiple alternative temperature sources are currently allowed in the connections menu but multiple sources were never really considered to be used. As a result any updated value from any of the sources will be used to represent the current value of the virtual sensor.

In the next Cortex update to version 25.0.13 the behaviour will be that it will average the value from all the connected sensors which seems a more suitable behaviour for multiple connections.

Viv.

Comment

• stachoo
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2009

Viv, talking about HVAC-s and temperature sensors, there seems to be an inconsistency in Cortex, when several temperature sensors are connected to one HVAC and the HVAC is configured to be driven by the average temperature of those sensors. The HVAC logic works fine, but the temperature charts and the DFP display the temperature value from the first sensor, not the average.

Comment

• Viv
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2004

[QUOTE= but the temperature charts and the DFP display the temperature value from the first sensor, not the average.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. the HVAC does not actually record the temperature of the room in its own history.
          When it plots the temperature it gets the information from the temperature sensors history.
          As such it does get the first sensor in the list.
          This is a compromise.

Viv.

Comment

Working...
          X