Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a new house - a/v options / ideas?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mackers View Post
    I was wondering if I needed basic TV and hence the need for coax for example if i was only using sky and not freeview would I need an aerial?
    Couple of common sense questions to ask yourself:

1. What if you fall out with sky?
    2. What if you r sky box fails?
    3. Will you have enough sky boxes for the people viewing tv. I.e. If someone wants to watch the news do you argue over the channels as you don't have a back up option.

We tend to run 2x coax and 2-4x cat 5 to each tv location to enable you to pipe sky around over rf, pipe freeview over rf, internet, ir (maybe), and couple in case you decided to goto for an HD matrix.

Does that make sense?

Automated Home Jr Member

Thats great - thanks for the advice - that was sort of the set up we were looking at and possibly using a sonos (pre-wiring speaker wire throughout).
    Thanks again.

Automated Home Lurker

Woud look at cat6 instead of cat5, gives you better bandwidth and although not crucial at present the way HD is going just gives you that little bit more future proofing

And agree with above reply, yes put 2 x coax feeds in as well in the event of system failure on any part, might drive you slightly mad with absolutely no TV, can't beet a good RF back up system, also allows you to chuck a few sky eyes giving you a neat cost effective way of doing IR control in rooms without control
    www.audiofile.co.uk | Home Automation | Home Cinema | Premium Hifi
    Branches in Cambridge and Bishop Stortford

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks for the advice.

The plan so far is to have a plate behind wall mounted TVs with x2 coax and 2-4 Cat 6 depending on TV location (4 in main rooms / 2 in bedrooms)

Looking at future proof options too, should I cable x2 Cat6 near light switches or power sockets (potentially for control panels?).

I assume sonos would be a simple addition once speakers in place and wired back to amps in central location.

Thanks to all again for your interest and comments - much appreciated

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by audiofile View Post
    Woud look at cat6 instead of cat5, gives you better bandwidth and although not crucial at present the way HD is going just gives you that little bit more future proofing
    Cat 5 versa Cat 6 is a trade off between the cost of cable. Also a lot of cat 6 cable jobs we rescue have poorly terminate cat 6 connections. If a cat 6 cable is not terminated correctly to CAT6 standards it will not a true cat 6 connection - so i.e. the person might have well installed cat 5... I know it sounds silly but Cat6 is more prone to crosstalk and system noise...

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mackers View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for this. I was wondering if I needed basic TV and hence the need for coax for example if i was only using sky and not freeview would I need an aerial?
    Understand I need coax for freeview / basic TV.
    Regards
    Hi I am just starting an install and having similar dilemmas! As for the coax I still intend to install a standard tv signal like the one attached. http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product..._Sky_boxes.pdf

I just believe this gives me greater flexibility in terms of current tv & sky distribution. Hope this helps

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanthedogs View Post
    Hi I am just starting an install and having similar dilemmas! As for the coax I still intend to install a standard tv signal like the one attached.

I just believe this gives me greater flexibility in terms of current tv & sky distribution. Hope this helps
    Why not install everything to a central hub instead of running the sky feeds direct to point? Installing things into a central hub gives you a alot more flexibility to use a patch panel system to make any coax point either a sky feed or standard rf distribution.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by automate-me View Post
    Why not install everything to a central hub instead of running the sky feeds direct to point? Installing things into a central hub gives you a alot more flexibility to use a patch panel system to make any coax point either a sky feed or standard rf distribution.
    I was going to install the lab gear distribution equipment on the wall in my node zero so I can always have that option.

To begin with though this works for me as I'm gonna pick two sky box positions which will probably never change. I then get to watch two sky channels at the other tv locations through the rf out.