• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PatrickDixon
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2005

Problem with LD11 DIN Rail Dimmer Modules

I have a number of LD11s in a lighting CU which is fed by a seperate spur from the main CU. An FD11 filter is fitted at the at the input of the lighting CU to remove any interference from non-lighting sources

I'm only using X10 for lights and I'm using RF interfaces to control them, so I don't use the momentary switch connection on the LD11.

The problem I have is that LD11 controlled lights randomly switch ON and OFF. They sometimes switch ON in the middle of the night, which is a right PITA. I have no problems with any lights controlled by modules other than the LD11s, and the problem with the LD11s occur across all housecodes. It's not a RF problem because it happens even with the RF receivers unplugged.

My remaining thought is that some kind of interference is being picked up by the momentary switch input - but I'm open to ideas and any suggestions to fix it - please!!!
  • Digizz
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2004

Re: Problem with LD11 DIN Rail Dimmer Modules

I can't offer any solutions but wanted to let you know you're not alone! ...

I have a similar problem - LD11's switch on/off and dim. However, I thought it might be linked to interference from a neighbour although I have no proof yet. I also don't have an X10 filter but will be fitting the 250A version today or tomorrow. The weird thing here (and leads me to suspect that it may not be a neighbour) is that HomeVision hasn't reported any received X10 signals. I've asked Craig (HV developer) whether the LD11's might be seeing a signal which is too weak for the XM10 to register - no answer yet.

This is unlikely in your case though as you have a filter (providing it's working!)

The other thought I'd had was that the LD11's (40 odd in number) are somehow starting to fail. Mine are 2-3 years old now - how old are yours?

I guess the other posibility is rogue programming - what controller are you using?

Paul.

Comment

• CBusShop
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2004

Assuming the strange behaviour wasn't caused by stray X-10 signals from elsewhere, it is probably caused by induced current in a long run of local control cable that is picking up interference from nearby live mains cables.

There are a number of ways to minimise the problem. One is to reroute the local control cable to the LD11. Another is to fit a mains-operated dry contact relay to toggle the local control indirectly.
      Kwong Li
      Laser Business Systems Ltd.
      http://www.laser.com
      http://www.cbus-shop.com

Comment

• Digizz
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2004

Hi Li,

What do you mean by local control cable - the mains cable from wall switch to LD11 or the data cable from the controller to XM10?

In my case, the data cable to the XM10 probably does run near to some power cables - could this cause problems?

How about you Patrick?

Thanks,

Paul.

Comment

• PatrickDixon
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2005

Thanks for the replies.

To answer your questions:

1) I have had problems with these modules from new. I've got 15, but had problems even with just the first 5 installed.

2) I doubt that it is X10 interference because I only have one neighbour on the same supply (rural location with overhead cable & transformer), and anyway I have now fitted a FD11 filter which seperates the lights from everything else.

3) I'm not using any 'local control' cables at all 'cos I only control using X10 (using TM13s/SS13s & CM11/Home Control Assistant software). I actually wonder if leaving the 'local control' terminal on the LD11 unconnected makes it more sensitive to noise and so I am considering wiring a capacitor between it and Neutral at the LD11.

4) I don't think it's a control problem because it has happened with all controllers (TM13s & CM11) disconnected. The CM11/HCA s/w doesn't log a command when it occurs either.

It's frustrating because everyone including Marmitek says that they know of no problems and that these device behave exactly like any others, which IME is not the case. The only solution I've been offered is to return the modules for credit - which would leave me with no lighting control at all!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on Paul.

Comment

Working...
          X