• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geps
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2010

Accessing Cables + Flooring

Hi Guys,

I'm adding the finishing touches to my design for my Idratek system (my new bathroom arrived this morning! ).

I was wondering if anyone had any advice when it comes to flooring for access at a later date?

I'd love to put laminate down throughout the house but it seems that once it's down it's down?

Cheers,
  • kris2lee
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2010

What you want to do? Add new cables or replace existing ones or what is the problem?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

when we lived in Germany, the skirtings were removable, so we ran our cables there ...

another option might be to run cables in conduit, to ease later re-threads, and to run empty (but strung) conduits to other places, in-case of need ...

running cables in the loft & dropping them down in the walls might be another way ...
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 12 February 2011, 04:31 PM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• wywywywy
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2005

Any more info on these "removable skirting boards" please?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

they were nothing special - just strips of wood screwed into the block-work behind - for reasons I can't recall they sat clear of the blockwork by 10mm or more, and once removed they gave access also to the gap around the floor ...

a lot of UK skirtings stand clear of the floor, with the gap covered once carpet has been laid ... and removable strips could be laid across doorways ...

Comment

• Geps
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2010

I'll be carrying out a complete renovation having stripped back to bare brick. I then want to plaster and floor it in the best way possible that allows me to get access to the cables at a later date.

I'm looked at skirting but found the only premade stuff was too industrial and also it limits you on how many cables you can run. Lay a floor down that you can rip up and you're barely limited.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

good, then I'd lay plenty of cable (Cat-5e STP & UTP, Cat-6, CT100, as appropriate), say three times what you today calc' you need, to everywhere you can think of, before you put the laminate floor down, using a radial topolgy, with everything going back to Node-0 !

Murphy's law will always apply, of course, but that way you could in-principle connect anything with anything ...

perhaps use patch-panels in Node-0, and short patch-leads, to make it even quicker to ring the changes ...
              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 12 February 2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X