• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scribbler
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2011

Will this work? Bathroom light switch

Hi everyone. I'm new to the whole automation thing but am eager to get started. I already have the basics but would like to expand to add an automatic light in my bathroom...

I understand that I'll need a motion detector (MS13) and a transceiver (TM13), but I'm uncertain as to the actual method of turning the lights on and off.

For background, I'm in the UK and the bathroom has 2 halogen bulbs with a pull-cord switch. I know nearly nothing about electric wiring but have read that I need a device with no neutral?

I assume I need a device to connect to the switch? I was looking at something like this: AD10

Could someone tell me if I'm on the right path?
    Add some extra sophistication to your wedding by booking a string quartet from Sounds Ideal!
    Victoria Wharf Cardiff
  • Geps
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2010

Have you already got an X10 system in place? OR are you looking to set one up? (If so don't as they have poor reliability)

If you're answer is no to both the above then have a look for ceiling mounted PIR sensors. They'll switch directly with minimum fuss.

Comment

• Scribbler
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2011

I already have a CM12 interface and a plug-in appliance module.

I hadn't thought of using a simple PIR sensor - it would probably be a lot cheaper for sure!

Why do you say that X10 devices have poor reliability? I've had no problems so far. And what is the alternative?
      Add some extra sophistication to your wedding by booking a string quartet from Sounds Ideal!
      Victoria Wharf Cardiff

Comment

• Geps
        Automated Home Guru
        • Nov 2010

I purchased some from TLC direct the other day for £12 IIRC. Wire it into the switch on your wall so you can turn it off when you sleep etc and that's pretty much it.

X10 has alot of reliability issues that depend massively on your installation. Soon as you start getting larger and dealing with more devices you'll encounter problems. Alternative....well there are loads.....just have a search around on here. Many use a dedicated wiring scheme to pass messages over.

Comment

• Scribbler
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Geps View Post
          I purchased some from TLC direct the other day for £12 IIRC. Wire it into the switch on your wall so you can turn it off when you sleep etc and that's pretty much it.
          I think I may try and replace my pull-cord with a PIR, although I'll need one without a neutral apparently?

Originally posted by Geps View Post
          X10 has alot of reliability issues that depend massively on your installation. Soon as you start getting larger and dealing with more devices you'll encounter problems. Alternative....well there are loads.....just have a search around on here. Many use a dedicated wiring scheme to pass messages over.
          Hmmm, I don't plan to be that ambitious, plus my flat is not very big!

My main problem is how to control plugged in halogen lights without using the plug-in appliance module, as it makes a really loud 'clunk' when switched on/off.
          Victoria Wharf Cardiff

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

The X10 micromodules, are fine, I would use one of these. But the din rail mounted one like the one you gave the link to are not that reliable.
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Scribbler
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Feb 2011

Ok, I've decided on my set up.

In the lounge I have a low-energy lamp in the corner and a set of halogen down-lights above the breakfast bar. Will I have to use a plug-in appliance module for both of these, as the lamp modules wont support them?

I also have a regular centre light. I can just replace the current dimmer switch with one of these: S10 2223E (BTW is there a single switch version of this?)

In the bathroom I'm going to use a PIR rather than X10 equipment. I just need to find an affordable device and possibly run a neutral wire to it somehow.

I'm also going to use a MS13 to turn the lights on when someone enters that flat.

What do you think? I think my only concern is the loud clunk that the appliance modules make when they turn on/off. Is there any way around this?
              Victoria Wharf Cardiff

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

Why not use one of these or one of these
                Last edited by toscal; 23 February 2011, 11:16 AM.
                IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Scribbler
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                  Why not use one of these or one of these
                  That is the only place that I've seen that sell the single units, and I think I'll need the 2-wire version as I'm in the UK? Does nobody sell this model in the UK?

EDIT: another thing that puts me off is that it'd cost £25.99 + £12.50 (minimum) + whatever the import tax is...

That gets me thinking actually. Where is the best place for me to buy equipment from? I'm reluctant to buy from outside the EU as the cost of import tax never seems to be consistent!

I may start another thread for this actually
                  Last edited by Scribbler; 23 February 2011, 12:52 PM.
                  Victoria Wharf Cardiff

Comment

Working...
                  X