Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new homevision user

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Toscal thanks again for your quick respone and explanations its been a big help there still loads to learn but think im getting the hang of things a little better i keep on reading lots of different posts etc, did think there would have been more input from other users which is ashame really because thats what keeps the forums alive and this is a great place to learn so from all the peeps who as veiwed this thread there must be some input you can had even if its a question which when it gets answered helps every one.

Great link thankyou will have a good look at all that thanks

Toscal i have read your post on the use of xmbc which ive downloaded looks a great programme is this best run on a standaloan machine and how do you stream to the tels is this a total seperate thing and hv as nothing to do with it or is it controlled with hv, there was some of the abrieviations in your post which i didn't really know what they ment so if you can explain what is needed to set this sort of system up that would be great
    anyway thanks again toscal keep up your brill work Paul
    Last edited by supra59uk; 14th March 2011 at 12:21 AM.

XBMC is best run as a stand alone machine.
    I would go for either the live install version, as this has everything you need, so you don't need to have an operating system for the machine. The live install, will install a basic version of Linux so XBMC will run.
    My version runs Ubuntu 10.04LTS (long term support) and then I installed the linux version of XBMC, you can do this via Ubuntu and its software manager.
    I have all my media on a home built networked attached storage device (NAS).
    I used server elements NAS lite.
    You could get the HV to control the XBMC via IR commands. And or use one of these.
    If you went the full ubuntu install you could run the HVXL software in Linux, so it would be possible to control your HV via XBmC (well in theory anyway).
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Toscal
    Thanks for your quick responce , i did respond back and asked a cpl more questions but it dont seem to have saved my post, strange, anyway ive just fitted the lwm1 mods and its made a massive difference to the dimming problems ive now managed to fit onto the system 3 times lwm1's 5 x ad10's
    1 x ld11's and one times lamp module all up and running i desided to fit a large iprated box with two din rails 10amp control fuse and fitted all the modules onto the din rail, had to change all my lighting wiring to bring them all into the box switch wires etc and then back to the lights was a bit of a pain to be honest, would have been much easier if it was a new installation
    had to use junction boxes to the switch wires which i hate using but beats knocking the plaster off to chase new ones in, i also baught a remote switch then realized i need another box to make it work i asumed the xm10 would have recieved the singles bt it dont as you im sure was aware of lol, so more money as to be spent lol think i need a tm13 ? would that be right.
    Last edited by supra59uk; 14th March 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Toscal
    Just read your answer on the xbmc what speed of machine would be good to run the software ?
    also if i download the live and buy the network software Nas Light what would i install first or am i getting mixed up ?
    also how does it stream to the tv from the server, i asume i would need something in between, i can stream off my pc at the moment using my bluray dvd or my spider box which is a euro sat system but its abit blocky the picture, so it not to great .
    does the xbmc actually show on the tv screen when its all setup like the sounds of controlling it from the hv with the ir remote or is it better with the keyboard you linked me to that looks a nice bit of kit for the money as well is the square bit
    on the right a mouse pad.

Thanks Paul

Thanks Paul
    Last edited by supra59uk; 14th March 2011 at 11:58 PM.

The NAS lite software goes on a separate machine. My server is built using recycled computer parts. The mother board is at least 6 years old and boots up using a floppy.
    For the XBMC I was lucky enough to have a decent motherboard and CPU lying around in my parts bin (cancelled order ). My machine is an AMD 4400+ dual core CPU mother board is a Gigabyte GA-M68SM S2, 40Gb Hard drive, 1Gb memory and a DVD Rom drive.
    Many people have been using the Zotac ion or Zbox based systems. Have a look on the XBMC forum.
    You may want to have a look at this guide.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog