Window That Can Be Opened From The Outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geps
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2010

Window That Can Be Opened From The Outside?

Ok it sounds really weird but bear with me....

I'm installing a 42U server cabinet in my house and once it's installed, I won't be able to get round the back of it. However....there is a window behind it. Is there anyway I can fit effectively a window that opens outwards, that can be secured, locked and opened from the outside?

Cheers,
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

isn't that called a door. Why not go to a uPVC windows/doors place and see what they can do.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Geps
      Automated Home Guru
      • Nov 2010

Not quite that large.

I suppose....just thought there may be something out there already.....

Comment

• network video systems
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Sep 2010

im confused, there is a window on your building ? so your going to access the rear of the cabinet thorugh an external window ? i dont get it ? may be able to offer some advice, but i need to understand the applications ?
        Manchester store -Branded High End IP cameras

http://www.networkvideosystems.co.uk

http://www.networkvideosystems.com/

Comment

• Geps
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2010

Narrow room with door and window on opposing ends. Rack in midde....rack faces the door and rear facing the back.

Anyway to open the window from outside so I ca service the rear of the rack should I need.....

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

as another option, how about raising the rack a little off the floor, enough to be able to slide under it ?
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Another idea.

Why not install runners in your rack. so you can pull out the equipment, without going behind the rack. Something like this..
              You may be able to manufacture something if you can get the draw runners.
              Its very popular in the states. I have see something similar in a couple of computer rooms where the equipment is rack mounted in a small space. You also need to make sure your cabling is neat no bird's nest in there.
              Or just put the entire rack on a rotating plate.
              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Geps
                Automated Home Guru
                • Nov 2010

Chris...I think that may be what I do....although at 6ft 7 I think half the rack would have to be empty

Toscal....much more helpful looks a pretty good method...Ijust need to check I have the width....from memory I only have 100mm either side so might too tight. Shame the walls are structural else I'd move them around a bit.

Comment

• Collectors
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                  Why not install runners in your rack. so you can pull out the equipment, without going behind the rack. Something like this..
                  You may be able to manufacture something if you can get the draw runners.
                  Its very popular in the states. I have see something similar in a couple of computer rooms where the equipment is rack mounted in a small space. You also need to make sure your cabling is neat no bird's nest in there.
                  Or just put the entire rack on a rotating plate.

Nice one! You just solved one for me.
                  Regards Chris.
                  Barnet Walks
                  Collectors-info

Comment

• audiofile
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Mar 2011

If you do opt for runners just bare in mind the cable run at the back is sufficient in order to bring the unit out and back in, you basically need to create a swan neck approach to the cabling and secure it in such a fashion so that the cabling moves in and out without being snagged etc
                    Last edited by audiofile; 22 March 2011, 03:56 PM.
                    www.audiofile.co.uk | Home Automation | Home Cinema | Premium Hifi
                    Branches in Cambridge and Bishop Stortford

Comment

• TimH
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2004

I have the same issue, but it's an internal cupboard. My full-height rack has large castors on the bottom so that the whole rack can be pulled forwards,

It does require a large umbilical of cables to move with it, but you still need to do this with rack-runners anyway. If you go the runners route, make sure you can pull the equipment far enough forward, completely out of the rack frame so that you can get to the connections behind. Once you've got equipment stacked above and below and the rack uprights at the side, there's not much room to get a hand in, or to see.

I opted for fixed shelves and movable rack

HTH,

Tim.
                      p.s. Otto - I still owe you a write-up of my rack system, I haven't forgotten about it!
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                      X