X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geps
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2010

I've specced 12way DIN mounted modules to control whole house lighting near the CU

I'll then run 1.00 T&E to each light.

For sockets, the cost and space require to run dedicated 2.5T&E just doesn't appeal to me...especially with the hassle of reverting the system back when it comes to selling.

Comment

• Gumby
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
      What erks me about all the regs is it doesn't stop the cowboys and like health and safety it becomes more draconian to ensure its existence. One of the worst houses for wiring I have ever seen was a council house that was recently re-wired. Many of the metal back boxes weren't earthed, pattresses were sitting proud of the wall and a lighting rose was being used as a junction box.
      Yup. Like many other things these days, somewhat dubious statistics are rolled out to justify the ever increasingly onerous regulations.
      ----------------------
      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Gumby
        • May 2004

Originally posted by JonS View Post
        OR (and I've no idea if this is allowed in the regs)... use an outlet of the ample structured wiring you are probably installing and create a project-box with mains feed in from a socket on your ring main, Idranet in via your structured wiring and put the relays, fuses and outlets into a suitable enclosure. This won't be compact but in the long run will be better than the excess wall-sockets that have been discussed; you can move it about (structured wiring permitting) and when RF arrives you can remove it completely. Obviously in this case you would have to take care to label the cat5/6 sockets used for Idranet carefully else 12-15V might fry an ethernet device. You would feed Idranet into the structured wiring at the patch panel linking into a 6WA or similar module. I think this is also what SimBarr was suggesting.
        2p
        I've been thinking along similar lines since I have structured wiring and am fed up with X10.

Technically the Regs don't apply because it's not fixed wiring. It would not be hard to do this in a safe manner. You don't need an FCU, since the plug is fused. So single gang pattress for a DRH and a double. Use surface mounting pattresses and I reckon you might be able to just glue them, otherwise a bit of wood on the back. Punchouts in the side of the pattresses to link through, they obviously meet the insulation requirements, you'd just need to ensure adequate cable retention for the mains cable.
        ----------------------
        www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

just a thought, & going back to the original question, this might be worth a read :

particularly the last section ...
          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• cliffwright
            Automated Home Guru
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by eddr View Post
            Am I able to wire a Idratek module (If so, which one?) to every double plug socket on the ring mains, so in theory every double socket is controlled (but still locally switched although don't have to be)?
            Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
            Welcome eddr,

I am in the same position as you retro-fitting Idratek modules to my home. In my situation I am using DRH modules to individually switch two sockets, however this means using four patress fittings, one for a switched fuse spur, one for the DRH and two individual wall sockets, in essence I use the following guide:

HTH

Paul
            I just can't believe this is the only realistic (Idranet) retro-fit solution without the need for extensive additionl re-wiring. IMO having 4 patress boxes, especially with one of them being a fused connection unit with a red light glowing away, in any kind of visible room location is plain UGLY. It would definitely NOT pass my SWMBO litmus test - even in lower visibilty locations such as behind furniture, just seems too intrusive.

I think I'm in a similar position to the OP in that I'm wanting to automate 2 lamps (at opposing corners of my lounge) which we tend to use more than the main ceiling light itself. Currently these are controlled via X10 lamp modules but I'm wanting to migrate them across to Idratek kit . . .

At the minute I'm planning on the later option that I think is being suggested in this thread in that I'm planning on making my own Idranet version of my X10 plug in Lamp modules (albeit ending up slightly larger) . . . combining a DRH module, a plug, a single socket and an RJ45 Faceplate - this should give me the flexibility of avoiding excessive wall-hacking due to my retrofit scenario until such a time as I can decorate the room and 'do it properly' . . .

Originally posted by eddr View Post
            Also, I have noticed in our soon to be house that theres a light downstairs by the front door, and a light at the top of the stairs. The light at the top of the stairs has a dimmer switch at the top of the stairs, but downstairs has a normal switch which is a double (one switch turns the light by the front door on and off, the other the light at the top). How would I go about changing the light at the top of the stairs to be Idratek controlled whilst also having the light at the bottom also controlled?
            I have the same situation (although neither are currently dimmable) . . .

Assuming the wiring is as I suspect it is . . . I planned on changing both light switches to SLD-002's (so that I can use the dimming functionality for 'soft start' lighting and lower levels of brightness at night for loo trips) which'll probably then involve permenently junctioning one of the 2 switched lives - I'm guessing behind the downstairs switch.

There is more than 1 way in which your wiring might be setup . . . see here;

Ever wonder how a two way light switch wiring is connected? A typical installation of a two way switch is the control of a lamp that lights up the staircase.

Hope this helps

Cliff
            www.clifford-wright.co.uk/blog

Comment

• eddr
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cliffwright View Post
              I just can't believe this is the only realistic (Idranet) retro-fit solution without the need for extensive additionl re-wiring. IMO having 4 patress boxes, especially with one of them being a fused connection unit with a red light glowing away, in any kind of visible room location is plain UGLY. It would definitely NOT pass my SWMBO litmus test - even in lower visibilty locations such as behind furniture, just seems too intrusive.

I think I'm in a similar position to the OP in that I'm wanting to automate 2 lamps (at opposing corners of my lounge) which we tend to use more than the main ceiling light itself. Currently these are controlled via X10 lamp modules but I'm wanting to migrate them across to Idratek kit . . .

At the minute I'm planning on the later option that I think is being suggested in this thread in that I'm planning on making my own Idranet version of my X10 plug in Lamp modules (albeit ending up slightly larger) . . . combining a DRH module, a plug, a single socket and an RJ45 Faceplate - this should give me the flexibility of avoiding excessive wall-hacking due to my retrofit scenario until such a time as I can decorate the room and 'do it properly' . . .

I have the same situation (although neither are currently dimmable) . . .

Assuming the wiring is as I suspect it is . . . I planned on changing both light switches to SLD-002's (so that I can use the dimming functionality for 'soft start' lighting and lower levels of brightness at night for loo trips) which'll probably then involve permenently junctioning one of the 2 switched lives - I'm guessing behind the downstairs switch.

There is more than 1 way in which your wiring might be setup . . . see here;

Ever wonder how a two way light switch wiring is connected? A typical installation of a two way switch is the control of a lamp that lights up the staircase.

Hope this helps

Cliff
              Cliff,

Thanks for that - As it turns out, my uncle is a certified electrician which I didn't know, so this is going to be very handy when things start moving along.... I will most likely get him to as you say, junction one of the lives.

It IS a shame about the whole idea having a fused switch, Idratek module and two single sockets, but as Idratek offers alot more in other areas, I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on this one.... still not sure how I'm going to proceed though.... do I just forget the sockets for now, or put a couple in 'hidden' behind things like the sofa.

Hmmmm

Comment

• Geps
                Automated Home Guru
                • Nov 2010

Potentially good news....

I've been playing around (and distracting myself from my renovation!) and think I've found a way to automate electrical sockets without the need for any extra patresses on the wall It's essentially just tweaking Idratek modules...

I've ordered some components to build a functional mockup and whilst I'm happy on the concept and theory of operation I'm just checking it's going to comply with current building regs....

Should it be ok, plan will be to produce step by step instructions for people to make their own units and the only visual modification will be to convert a double socket to a twin single. You won't be able to see any sign of "Idratekness".

Will keep you posted....

Comment

• eddr
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Mar 2011

Greps,

Sounds interesting! What modules are being used with your idea?

Comment

• cliffwright
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Mar 2007

Interesting indeed . . . do tell . . .

Comment

• Gumby
                      • May 2004

I sometimes think we forget how lucky we are

There have been at least 4 different ways to automate a power outlet discussed, offering various compromises between amount of rewire and visible impact. If you look at the alternative automation solutions you would find out the either automating power is not supported, or the only method is complete rewire with spurs back to a distribution centre, all at significantly higher prices.

It's also possible to get fused outlets without indicators.

When if comes to providing outlets specifically for lighting, then there is another option, you can take a feed off your existing lighting circuit and switch in a DRB/SRH/DRH/XRM and then provide a 3A round pin outlet. No FCU's required.

Yes, it would be very nice to have a 13A double with the IDRATEK boards built in, or included in the back. But the tooling and approval testing for such a thing would run into many many thousands, so the resulting units would not be very affordable. If Idratek were to produce a board that fitted behind a double socket there would be howls when it was found to be not compatible with some person's favourite socket manufacture/model, or didn't fit in their existing 12mm back box.
                      ----------------------
                      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Karam
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Mar 2005

As someone above hinted, if there is sufficient interest we might consider introducing an interface to something like the Byron (Homeeasy) RF sockets. Though I notice that these seem to have been discontinued from B&Q of late?

The difficulty is not the electronics but more the issue of introducing a non readable device to the existing structure. However so long as people understand the limitations it may be a useful option for non critical operations.

Comment

• cliffwright
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
                          Originally Posted by cliffwright
                          I sometimes think we forget how lucky we are

There have been at least 4 different ways to automate a power outlet discussed, offering various compromises between amount of rewire and visible impact. If you look at the alternative automation solutions you would find out the either automating power is not supported, or the only method is complete rewire with spurs back to a distribution centre, all at significantly higher prices.

It's also possible to get fused outlets without indicators.

When if comes to providing outlets specifically for lighting, then there is another option, you can take a feed off your existing lighting circuit and switch in a DRB/SRH/DRH/XRM and then provide a 3A round pin outlet. No FCU's required.

Yes, it would be very nice to have a 13A double with the IDRATEK boards built in, or included in the back. But the tooling and approval testing for such a thing would run into many many thousands, so the resulting units would not be very affordable. If Idratek were to produce a board that fitted behind a double socket there would be howls when it was found to be not compatible with some person's favourite socket manufacture/model, or didn't fit in their existing 12mm back box.
                          Oh I agree . . . Re-reading what I said quoted like that, I'm not sure that my last post came across quite how I intended it to read . . . when I said;

Originally posted by cliffwright
                          I just can't believe this is the only realistic (Idranet) retro-fit solution without the need for extensive additionl re-wiring
                          I meant that, with Idratek being as good and extensive as it is, I can't believe there isn't an easier way to use what's available in another way to achieve the result . . . there's so much choice and functionality in the hardware modules and software that you'd think there must be a way . . . by no means meant as a criticism . . . and definitely better than most other solutions that I've seen of 'other' systems.

In my head, I think for the lamp scenario (and purely for the short-mid term pre-decoration period) I'm favouring a 'home made' Idratek version of an X10 plugin module by running an Idranet cable to an RJ45 wall socket and then having a switching module (as you suggest - one of; DRB/SRH/DRH/XRM) attached to a plug - I somehow see it as a cube of sorts with the idranet module on 1 side and a socket for the lamp (be it round or 3 pin) on the other with 2 'fly leads' - 1 idranet, 1 mains 3 pin. This may also be ugly, but on a lead could be hidden behind furniture easily & no FCU light winking away

Been a bit busy with 'other' stuff for a few weeks but if I get around to making up a prototype I'll post up details

Comment

• eddr
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Karam View Post
                            As someone above hinted, if there is sufficient interest we might consider introducing an interface to something like the Byron (Homeeasy) RF sockets. Though I notice that these seem to have been discontinued from B&Q of late?

The difficulty is not the electronics but more the issue of introducing a non readable device to the existing structure. However so long as people understand the limitations it may be a useful option for non critical operations.
                            Karam,

I'm sure there would be - when you say non readable, you mean non readable status/feedback (is it on/off did it turn on/off) ? If so, howcome this isn't possible ? I've always wondered why every other RF device apart from z-wave doesnt offer this functionality.

Comment

• Gumby
                              • May 2004

I somehow see it as a cube of sorts with the idranet module on 1 side and a socket for the lamp (be it round or 3 pin) on the other with 2 'fly leads' - 1 idranet, 1 mains 3 pin. This may also be ugly, but on a lead could be hidden behind furniture easily & no FCU light winking away
                              Lovely piece of lateral thinking. I had been considering using a twin type box potentially screwed to a plank of wood, but two single pattresses glued back to back would be much neater.
                              ----------------------
                              www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• cliffwright
                                Automated Home Guru
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
                                Lovely piece of lateral thinking. I had been considering using a twin type box potentially screwed to a plank of wood, but two single pattresses glued back to back would be much neater.
                                Yeah that's the ticket - I was thinking of 2 back to back single patress boxes with a spacer of some sort in the middle (Maybe another patress with the back mostly removed) so that the cables can exit the patresses from the rear faces and the flying leads from the side of the 'middle spacer' bit . . .

Maybe even neater still if, in the middle 'spacer' section, I could work in an RJ45 socket to allow connection to the Idranet without having a fixed flying lead . . .

Will need some tinkering time in the workshop me thinks

Comment

Working...
                                X