• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill_r
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2011

hey guys

Hey guys, just thought I'd introduce my self, so here gos.

As can see from my name im called Phill :-P, I'm 25. I work for a manufacturing company, where I did my apprenticeship as an electrical fitter, so industrial control (PLC's), and power distrubution (up to 3.3kV) my thing really, although, I've since been shifted sideways in to the instrument department, so got a bit of knowledge about the various controll systems out there. I have 17th edition, but no part p :-( and little house bashing eperiance (proper ways of routing cables/making it all tidy) I dont think the missus will be overly keen on cable tray, trunking and conduit all over the walls :-P

I'm still at college, and I'm currently completing a HND in electrical/electronics engineering, this being my 8th year at college since school, having done I.T. previously.

I mainly enjoy computing, circuit design and programming (pc & micro contollers) and getting the lot to work together! I also enjoy and take an active role with the projection system, (words/video etc.) and the sound system at my local church. Which kinds of leads me to why I signed up here!

I'm just in the process of buying my first house with my fiancée (we get married later this year) and have loads of ideas floating arround in my head. The two things I want to get done first is PIR and a LED lighting install on the landing / stair way, and an entertainment network, some kind of nas linked to t.v. s and sound system etc.

Also I fancy other things like those PIR tap jobies (Im a bit obsessive), zone controlled heating, and some kind of renewable energy, (solar panels, maybe ground source heating etc.), but those are just dreams at the moment.

So basically I guess you could say I want to integrate the newer technologies that the average person just wouldnt think of using in their house.

So as you can see I've got a few ideas, and even more questions to pick your brains with!

Phill
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Welcome Phill !

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Welcome to the forums.
      For LED lighting send me a PM.
      Entertainment.
      Look at XMBC
      Sonos (audio only)
      distributing the signals have a look at Abitana
      As for home automation, I think if you can gives us a bit more detail of what you are actually thinking of doing.
      Have a look at Idratek
      For heating have a look here, on our forums or here for the UK distributor.
      For NAS is use NAS Lite from Server Elements.I built my NAS using this and an old pc.
      Last edited by toscal; 28 March 2011, 11:55 AM.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• JonS
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2007

Welcome Phill. Your background sounds ideal for HA, I also dable in PA but came to it after HA. Chris has listed a good number of systems for you and Toscal given a broader picture of your requirements. There isn't a silver bullet solution so much as you have different systems for sound and words/ pictures at church, you will end up with various networks for e.g security, control, audio, video etc.
        I would recommend you think hard about what you + other half want to do with your house and budget. My approach was to cable for everything and give myself years of projects sticking things on the end of them. Cables are cheap to buy, costly to get someone else to install. Stuff on the end generally gets cheaper or better as time goes on. I've got some thoughts on my blog about design. Have fun but as Kevin pointed out recently re HA door bell vs bathrooms, if you are getting married, get you're priorities agreed!
        JonS

Comment

• automate-me
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by toscal View Post
          Sonos (audio only)
          From personal experience as good as Sonos is ... it's a wireless solution... whether you use Nuvo, Russound, Audio Authority or Sonos I can't stress enough to importance of running a cable to it. There is nothing better and more reliable than a wired connection.... and it's faster.... Having to hunt into cupboards to find the power switch for the Sonos and then hold down the mute and volume up button every 10 mins is no fun!!!

distributing the signals have a look at Abitana
          Abitana.... RUN A MILE!!! If you use something like Abitana/Singlepoint networks you are stuck with their solution until you re-cable the house...

Originally posted by JonS View Post
          I would recommend you think hard about what you + other half want to do with your house and budget. My approach was to cable for everything and give myself years of projects sticking things on the end of them. Cables are cheap to buy, costly to get someone else to install. Stuff on the end generally gets cheaper or better as time goes on. I've got some thoughts on my blog about design.
          I totally agree with JonS.... The key thing we say to customers is getting the infer-structure right. If you cable a house properly you can pretty much do what you want in the future. eg: We run 2x coax to each TV point and 2/4x cat 5. Future proofing to get a television signal, IR, internet and the potential in the future of a full HD switching matrix.

Go luck at ... http://www.aca-apex.co.uk/ for great cabling solutions

Good luck
          My views are my own
          Works for Home Cinema UK, TV Stands, AV Candy.

Comment

• automate-me
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2011

Disclaimer:
            And no I don't work for ACA Apex, I work for an installation company in the UK!!
            My views are my own

Comment

• Otto-Mate
              Founder
              • Jan 2004

Welcome automate-me - good to have another installer here. Is your company listed in our DB ok? - http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...om/Installers/

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• automate-me
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Otto-Mate View Post
                Welcome automate-me - good to have another installer here. Is your company listed in our DB ok? - http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...om/Installers/

M.
                Probably not I hide most of the time.... considering linking to my websites in my signature BUT then I can't be so mean to people! It's a problem! lol!!! Only joking I'm nice really.... Just hate installers ripping customers off. We tend to work on high end projects but I am aware that many people can not afford installers and still want to do the jobs themselves so I chip in from time to time.... I just came across the forum by accident.
                My views are my own

Comment

• automate-me
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Mar 2011

BTW... just looked in the directory.... Some of the companies have gone bust.... I am more than happy to help you tidy it up....

eg: digital plumbers....
                  My views are my own

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                    Founder
                    • Jan 2004

Yes, sad fact of life at the moment, have removed some already this week.

Please send me a PM or email with any others you suspect are gone.

Thanks

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• toscal
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by automate-me View Post
                      From personal experience as good as Sonos is ... it's a wireless solution... whether you use Nuvo, Russound, Audio Authority or Sonos I can't stress enough to importance of running a cable to it. There is nothing better and more reliable than a wired connection.... and it's faster.... Having to hunt into cupboards to find the power switch for the Sonos and then hold down the mute and volume up button every 10 mins is no fun!!!

Abitana.... RUN A MILE!!! If you use something like Abitana/Singlepoint networks you are stuck with their solution until you re-cable the house...

Sonos can be hard wired as well.
                      Abitana is very flexible and you are not stuck with their solution, as you put it. Its not that different to running CAT5. So if it works with a CAT5 based distribution system it will work with Abitana's Omni-media cable as well.
                      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• automate-me
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Mar 2011

Sonos can be hard wired as well.
                        Abitana is very flexible and you are not stuck with their solution, as you put it. Its not that different to running CAT5. So if it works with a CAT5 based distribution system it will work with Abitana's Omni-media cable as well.
                        I might re-visit Abitana... I thought that you had to use Abitana's mounting rack and modules which used to be expensive in the UK...
                        My views are my own

Comment

• toscal
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by automate-me View Post
                          I might re-visit Abitana... I thought that you had to use Abitana's mounting rack and modules which used to be expensive in the UK...
                          No. You can use any DIN rail cabinet. (Though I would use their sockets, so as to get the correct earthing) Their DIN rail mounted RJ45 sockets etc are the easiest (and better made ones) I've worked with. All you need is a pair of small side cutters. No punch down tool. Assembling the socket takes care of that, so its quicker.
                          Mind you I think Panduit do have something similar out now.
                          But like many things one man's meat is another man's poison.
                          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• phill_r
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Mar 2011

Thanks for all the replys. I've not reli had much time of late, probably will get to have a better look at easter with all those bank hols! Hopefully will have the house by then, so can have a bit of a closer look and think of what I want to achieve.

As for the missus, shes quite understanding of my techonolust, and has even pointed out some HA ideas at the ideal home show!

Comment

• ThugFerd
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Nov 2010

Welcome to the forums Phill. Wish you good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X