• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Garage Doors

Just to note, having been delving into the manual, that Hörmann garage door operators would be easy to bring into the Idratek compass, at least the ones with Supramatic E units (as ours) - take the back plate off, and there's a block with 24V, OV and open, close, toggle, disable, lamp, relay (programmable for function), and two sensor screw terminals, all easy to access & with most offering (IIUC) volt-free options - so good for connection to Idratek digital & relay modules ...

pages 30-31 49 & 51 refer :

seems likely other operators might also offer this ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 18 April 2011, 09:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • stachoo
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2009

We're using Normstahl. It works pretty fine, but the command and control options are quite limited - there is just one input for opening and closing that works as a toggle, so there is no way to be sure which way a half open gate will go. In standard, there is no external output indicating and the gate is fully opened or closed. I have installed two magnetic proximity sensors - same as the ones used for doors & windows to get this information.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

yep, the Hörmann operator has more options, but still doesn't offer a way of assessing where the door actually is, so adding reed switches is something we'll likely do, too - in a few weeks time, if things go to plan, so thanks for the thought !

we might also add a rolling-code board & remote, to substitute the toggle input, to improve security ...

having Cortex augment the in-built possibilities, in addition, could be quite useful - eg: it could up security levels by disabling the doors at night & during days away and/or enabling them only when needed/expected, switch lights inside & out sympathetically, call attention to malfunctions (doors stopped part-way, etc), provide extra control points (a QBI might provide up / down / stop / alarm, say), and ... hmm, there must be more !

Comment

• Geps
        Automated Home Guru
        • Nov 2010

To be fair if we're talking about designing a system from the ground up then I'd scrap the reed switches. I'd fit a microswitch at the bottom of the door and then use a hall effect sensor inside the housing. This can then count the rotations of the motor and you'll be able to get a position within 5cm accuracy or even less depending on motor design.

The microswitch can be used to reset and calibrate the system so you'll always have a reasonably accurate reading. Cortex could then query the controller and announce jams/forced openings etc.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

'wonder if microswitches in the typical garage environment might be less reliable that reed switches ?

Comment

• Geps
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2010

I was thinking of using it inside the frame.

For reed switches though, what happens when you fit the reed switches, and I come along with my large magnet and prise open you're garage door and Cortex is none the wiser?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

then I guess we're back to having Cortex do some smart sensor fusion, to put two & two together !

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

'wonder if this sensor might also play a part :

(in other situations, too) ??

Comment

Working...
                X