• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Secure Entry

'wondered if anyone had a way that would allow an Idratek installation to look after secure entry - on-foot through front- or back-door or in-car into garage, via buttons or remotes or tags or whatever ?

when on-foot, could a DIO module could be used with push-buttons - with defined sequences, to trigger a solenoid ?

maybe yes, but how secure would it be ?

equally, how secure are garage-door remotes / operators ?

could both be made more secure by having Cortex allow operation only within defined time-slots, and when defined presence criteria are met (eg: someone's home), and/or a pre-arranging e-mail has been received ?

having at least one door worked by mechanical key would still be more than a good idea, to cope with power-cuts & PC crashes, etc ...

any thoughts ?
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Geps
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2010

As much as I love Idratek.....I don't think it's suitable for this.

You can get locks with a microswitch built it so I'd use one of those on a door and then I'd use Idratek to email me etc when it was opened.

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
      '

equally, how secure are garage-door remotes / operators ?

any thoughts ?
      The remotes on the ones we used to install where very difficult to copy. In fact out of the 5 places locally that offered key fob copying services non could copy them. They had a digital rolling code type. This gave something like 18 billion billion possible code combinations.
      The control units also had the possibility of adding contact closures for open and close, so could be interfaced with virtually any HA system.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

yep, rolling-code remotes seem a good idea ...

Comment

• Geps
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2010

I work in the automotive security industry and work with these technologies on a daily basis. Rolling code attacks used to be done on the theory of you send consecutive challenges and wait for it to work, but alot of research has been done and most of the most popular generators have been cracked meaning you often need just two reads from the original and you can calculate the seed value and thus clone it.

We're starting to see on some of the more popular makes now the use of mutual authentication so both parties know they're talking to a genuine device.

Had I had more time it's something I'd be very interested in, but work, combined with my house renovation and finishing off my Idratek controlled socket design mean I just don't have any time for yet another project atm.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

interesting ... maybe that reinforces the idea of having Cortex narrow the windows of opportunity, by having the operator powered-on only when likely to be necessary (the Hörmann operator re-zeroes itself by fully opening, so losing reference during power-off shouldn't be a problem) ...
            Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 23 April 2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

>locks with a microswitch built-in ...

had looked & found none, but looking again showed it to be an option with some doors we've been considering :

so thanks !

Comment

• Geps
                Automated Home Guru
                • Nov 2010

Rolling code are typically transmit only though so switching off the receiver wouldn't make any difference.

Comment

• Geps
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Nov 2010

Yup that's the type. If you were to get enough people together we could possibly arrange a group buy through my work as we have a trade counter and supplier nearly all the leading manufacturers.

Typically though, they're not that often bought so it's not something we'd stock.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

>rolling code are typically transmit only ... switching off the receiver wouldn't make any difference ...

'thought though was that it would limit when an illicit remote could be used, to times when people might be about ...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

>possibly arrange a group buy ...

in this case, though, we'd be getting them ready-fitted with the doors ...

OTOH, we've some external doors already on order for which, when we asked after microswitches, we got only blank looks ... wonder if retrofit kits might be an option ?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Dec 2007

>that's the type ...

couldn't work-out where the microswitch(es) would be - in the door or in the strike - if the former, then there's be wires to bring-out, perhaps using special hinges ??

Comment

• Geps
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Nov 2010

Don't see why it would need to come with a door? A lock is fairly standalone and everyone will have different size/style doors.

I asked the trade counter manager the other other day about them and he said that the switch is inside the door/lock so yeah you'd need to get wires out.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Dec 2007

>don't see why ...

it's just that we're about to buy some doors ...

>'d need to get wires out ...

thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X