• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilhooper
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2008

Dedicated Cortex PC Contender on offer.

Just to let everybody know, the HP Mini Server discussed in this thread, http://http://forums.wordpress-12193...ead.php?t=3051 has a cash back offer of £100 until the end of June.

This makes it a £150 solution. Before you rush out and buy one I would suggest that you read the whole thread to the end as there is some very pertinent information contained in it.

- Neil
  • jpdw
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2007

I've noticed this still appears to be on offer through to end of July (yipee!).

Does anyone know what this little server eats in terms of average kWh?
    (as I'm an electricity miser - or just want to deprive BG/EDF et al if I can).
    Jon

Comment

• jpdw
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2007

Extended (again)

It seems that this has (yet again) been extended and the £100 offer is now showing till end of August.

Begs the question whether HP are desperate to create a market or have a huge overstock they are trying to clear before bumping the spec. Still £140 notes for what's on offer seems pretty good.
      Last edited by jpdw; 3 August 2011, 12:29 AM. Reason: spooling mistook correction
      Jon

Comment

• jpdw
        Automated Home Guru
        • Oct 2007

Answering my own post (!), it's been extended again to end of September.

Having got one of these now, it's currently consuming a steady 34w with the shipped 3.5" 250Gb Seagate HD and a 2.5" 500Gb Samsung HD (in the ODD slot). As well as a small USB stick in the internal port to boot ESX from (though I doubt that makes much power difference). I did get it dip below 30w without the Seagate plugged in.
        Jon

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

>begs the question whether HP are desperate ...

despite being the largest supplier, HP are looking to exit the PC market :

The world's top personal computer maker is exploring a spinoff of its PC unit, in a historic “transformation to position HP for a new future.”
          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

HP want to concentrate on their more profitable software market. I guess some companies would also require paid support which is even more profit.
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• neilhooper
              Automated Home Guru
              • Oct 2008

Now extended until end of October.

Comment

Working...
              X