• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffwright
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2007

Lighting Scenario Question . . .

Hi Folks,

Rather than just email Karam, I wonder if anyone can give me some hints on the following scenario to save Karam some time?

In our bathroom, I now have a set of main spotlights controlled by an SLD & a set of LED accent lights which will be (when I've finished the wiring) controlled by 1 relay of a DRB module - I have a PLH to infer presence in the room.

What I want to achieve are the 2 following scenarios;

1) During 'daytime' hours - lets say 7am - 11pm - I want for both the mainlights to fade up to full 100% brightness & the LED lights to come on based on presence.

Ignoring the time element, I've got this sorted based on presence for the main spotlights (SLD) & I'm guessing I'll just have to setup the relay on the DRB to turn the LED's on in much the same way.

2) During 'nighttime hours' - so 11:01pm to 06:59am - I want a gentler lighting scene. I want the LED's to come on still, but I only want the main spots to fade on more gradually and only to a dimmer level - lets say 50% for example.

Anyone any ideas how I achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff
    www.clifford-wright.co.uk/blog
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

What the heck, I'll suggest something anyway . This is one of those questions where its helpful to understand that 'ON' and 'OFF' for a dimmer output do not mean 100% and 0% respectively but are in fact variables. So you could use the Scheduler to change the 'ON' level to be 100% at 7am and to 50% at 11pm. You would use an On specific day(s) in the week | Everyday kind of entry and select Action function then find the entry in the list of actions which sets your dimmer 'ON' value. I think there may be a bug in the scheduler editor which means that after you select this you are not then presented with a value setting box. If so, then just complete the remaining items for that schedule entry and Ok it. Then edit that entry and visit the 'What to do' tab where you will now find a box next to the action box allowing you to enter your desired ON value.

Another route could be to use the Scene setting object, though since you only have level changes twice a day it might be overkill.

The dim rate is also a variable but until recently this parameter was not accessible other than for manual changing. I know its being made accessible as a Set Value type connection but not sure whether released yet or not.
    Last edited by Karam; 5 June 2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• cliffwright
      Automated Home Guru
      • Mar 2007

Thanks Karam - sound advice as usual

I think that gives me enough of a clue for now . . . I need to get my DRB & LED's connected up first before I can put this into practice (and I need to do more DIY beforehand!) but I think you've given me sufficient to go on

Cheers

Cliff
      www.clifford-wright.co.uk/blog

Comment

• Viv
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Dec 2004

Cortex 25.1.6
        Scene object now allows Dimmer off values to be set throughout the day as well as On values. Existing databases using scenes will have off value default to 0.

Comment

Working...
        X