Electricity Monitoring - Which Photodiode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

we're installing ours now - we had to get the meter cupboard out of the wall, to get a route for the cable ...

also looks like the sensor will have to be removed from time to time, too - when the meter-man from the electric company comes to read the meter using a sensor that uses the photodiodes (and the bar-code) ... which maybe explains the rather heavy-duty self-adhesive pad that is used to attach it to the face of the meter ...

PS: no, not so sure about that - when mounted, the sensor leaves the left hand device exposed, so it depends on how it works, exactly ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 24 September 2013, 07:06 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Alexc
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Apr 2013

Although an old thread, a useful one!

I have successfully connected up my electricity meter today using just a simple BPW85C. As the leads are fairly solid, they bend and stay where they are put, which has enabled me to do this:
      Attached Files

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

looks v.neat - presumably the sheething brings it to within the Reg's / gives adequate protection to the low voltage side of things ...

just a question, really !

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

we followed Paul's route & it's still working fine ...

now, though, our supplier (e.on) is saying they want to install a new meter, a smart one ...

so, wondered if we should say yes, or stall them for as long as we can ... ie: will it bring problems ?

any experience / thoughts ?

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

If you mean in terms of interfacing to IDRATEK I guess you'll have to find out if the same optical indicator exists on the particular device, or better still you'd think that any new meter will have a direct electrical (SO) output, or maybe even indirect web API access (ha ha).

In terms of smart meters in general, unfortunately don't have experience beyond the kind of reports you read on the internet.

Comment

Working...
            X