Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Ethernet Question

Automated Home Sr Member franktate's Avatar

Mmmm! I will have another mess around with it when I've finished the wiring.

frank

Quote Originally Posted by franktate View Post
    The NAS is a Buffalo livestation. Yes - it says it works with all DNLA devices. It lies. I have spent many night trying to update drivers and re-flash the NAS - all with the same annoying end result.
    Ah, ok, I just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware, but you've obviously already seen it and bought the t-shirt (and now probably ripped it up!)

Good luck,

Tim.

Now finished all the cable laying. WD TV Live boxes in bedroom, kids room and living room all working perfectly. Streaming HD video and audio to each. Tested them all at the same time and they all work OK. (I like to try and crash anything I install).
    The whole project cost me 248 (68 for New/special offer WD from Amazon, 2 x factory reconditioned WD's from Amazon marketplace 65 each, 30 on two Gigabit switches and 20 worth of Cat5e cables).
    Of course if anyones starts from scratch they will need a NAS and and PC to rip the discs.

On the Buffalo Livestation. I'm looking to replace with a bigger one. That's another project.

frank

If you are looking for a bigger NAS then why not roll your own.
    Just get a cheap motherboard with 6 SATA connectors, possibly something in the mini-itx or micro ATX camp. A small usb stick and some 1TB drives. Use NAS Lite. And hey presto. You can even dump the stick and get the system to boot from disk1.
    The version of NAS Lite that you may want is NASLite-M2 or the original NASLite-2.
    Last edited by toscal; 12th July 2011 at 07:17 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Thanks toscal. I have just stripped down a pc which wouldn't work with a cd or dvd drive. The thing sent me mad. Thought it was the cable so swapped it. I thought it was the drive, so ordered another. Changed settings for hours and eventually gave up. I had to revent back to an older PC (hence my comment above about the PC being passed it's use-by date.
    The new/old PC that crashes with a DVD drive attached would be perfect for the task. I could even strip out the Buffalo disk and add that to it.
    I suppose I need to buy a second hand monitor. I have 6 other hard drives knocking arround somewhere from various other projects - Multimedia box under TV - scrapped for being too noisy and hard to navigate, old NAS that didnt work with Sonos and the plug adaptor got damaged, ex-Sky HD box drive due to a self upgrade to a 1TB drive, etc.

I can feel another project coming on!

frank

PS:
    The new Sky HD boxes are f-ing awkward to upgrade. The wife had to help! More screws and clips than the space shuttle.

If you can boot up the pc then its ideal for use as a NAS. My first NAS was built around a 450MHz cpu and I think 256Mb of memory. When the one of the IDE channels died I then replaced it with another old pc the current one is an Asus motherboard and a 2.8GHz CPU and 512Kb of memory ( a bit of over kill but its what I had lying about).
    But seeing how much large capacity IDE drives are now (if you can get hold of them) it looks like my next upgrade will be for a new Motherboard and a 1TB sata drive.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog