• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Murray
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2011

X10 3 way switching

Hello all am new to x10 and new to this forum,

My problem is that in the bedrooms in my house there is a light switch as you enter the room and another by the bed,
    What I am looking to do is to change the standard switches to x10 light switches, Is this possible or is there some sort of micro unit that can be fitted above ceiling or behind current light switches,

I have seen them available in America but unfortunately emigrating for this reason only is not a option,
    Thank you in advance and please good news only lol

Tony
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Micro modules are available from most european X10 suppliers.
    You will need to change the switches to momentary type.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Tony Murray
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2011

Hi Thank You for the reply

So by fitting a micro module and 2 motion switches 1 by the bedroom door and 1 by the bed this will work? Excuse my lack of knowledge as I am not from a electrical background
      Also which micro module and switches would you recomend I have used marmitek devices thus far,
      Thank You

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

What type of motion switches will you be using.
        I prefer Xanura modules, tend to be a bit more reliable, but they are a bit more expensive. Plus now Xanura is now owned by Marmitek. The Marmitek modules are fine, but I have just had less problems with the Xanura ones.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• franktate
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Feb 2007

I originally used the Marmitek microswitches with a momentary push switch in the place of the regular on/off switches. I then tried the ones from Hong Kong (x10-hk.com). These allow you to keep your original on/off panel. I have also found these to be more reliable and a huge amount quieter. The HK ones have been installed for 3 years and none have failed. Around 20% of the Marmitek ones failed over 3 years.

As for 3 way wiring - I had a bit of a play with that. And this is a point back for the Marmitek microswitches - The Mamitek ones worked OK. The HK ones not so much. Every time I added the 2nd on/off switch to the curcuit the thing tripped the fuse. I checked the setup 5 times. Completly started from scratch with the wiring twice and then gave it up as a bad job.
          I'm sure I've done something wrong but I'm stuck with what it is. When I get chance I will post the full problem.

frank
          Last edited by franktate; 5 July 2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

This page shows 2 way switching. Three way may be a little more problematical.
            I have an LW12 micro module, and I just connected 2 momentary switches in parallel. They have to be momentary switches, otherwise it won't work.

Here is another if not as clear diagram.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X