• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billm
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2005

Appliance Module Problem

I'm trying to operate a tv that turns on using a momentary on/off switch.
    The x10 module will only function correctly while continuing to press the switch.

One option would be to fix the switch so it stays pushed in all the time. Don't know if this is wise, could ruin the circuitry or possibly even worse.

Is there an x10 component that can learn the tv on/off infared code and use that? I've been searching but cannot find anything. The goal is to turn the tv on and off remotely to give a home a lived in look while away. Any other ideas?

Thanks
  • jon00
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2004

Re: Appliance Module Problem

Bill,

What exactly are you using to control your X10? Is it just a CM12 internally programmed, Mini Timer etc or are you using Home automation software on a PC?

I ask because what you intend to do seems very complex.

You could use a UM7206 X10 universal module which has a momentary contact. (you send a X10 signal and the contact closes for 1-2 secs).

If you use a PC, then you could use something like a RED Rat IR controller.

The simplest would be just to buy a IR remote control unit that has a built in timer and macro facilities to do this.
    Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• billm
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2005

Jon:

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a simple mini timer and don't wish to involve my PC.

Not sure how I'd get the 7206 to sned a IR command so I was looking at your suggestion about ir control unit wit a built in timer.

Could not find one, maybe you can recommend a unit.

I did find a VCR Commander that may do the trick. You can check it out here... http://www.x10.com/onsale/new.html

Comment

• jon00
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jan 2004

Bill

How about this!

or this if in the USA?

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• billm
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2005

Jon:

It will work to some degree but using an x10 controller to turn it on I'm sure will set the clock to a programmed starting point, typically 12:00.

Which would be ok if it's programmed on and off settings would not be lost, doubtful.

Thanks

Comment

• AndyW
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jun 2004

Bill

I think the Clock will stand alone from the appliance module, its learning IR will switch your telly ON from standby.
            Don't know if it'll switch it OFF again. You could use the x10 kit to turn TV OFF but then you'd need to reset appliance module ON (therefore TV ON) and TV to standby for next daily cycle.

Don't know how versatile this ir alarm clock is. I am going to start another thread to see who knows.

Andyw
            Dazed but not defeated

Comment

• jon00
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Jan 2004

It can memorise 3 IR commands. From the review:

The unit has a remote learning feature meaning it will work with any remote control and television and all you need to do is program it to response to whatever channel or command you want it to. One nice feature is that it has four alarm settings; one buzzer and three television commands allowing you to double this up as a security device by turning your television on when your not home
              So yes, it can turn the TV on and off.
              Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• AndyW
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jun 2004

JonOO

Thanks for that, your reply beat my new thread by seconds.

I think I'll get one for my kitchen Hifi, which only has one program repeating every 24 hrs (Plays to its self most Sundays!) looks like I could use this for Mon-Sat.

And it looks like battery operated so it wont lose its program when mains fails.

If I can find it on Boysstuff I'll get one.

Andyw
                Dazed but not defeated

Comment

Working...
                X