Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Encoding is driving me mad!

Automated Home Sr Member John Winter's Avatar

Just a brief update on my troubleshooting work - unfortunately it's led to nothing, but the extra information might help in finding a solution.
    I've tried reducing the frame rates down to 5fps, turned off video rendering altogether, uninstalled all codecs and reinstalled them, uninstalled and reinstalled cortex, tried turning off the rollback frames feature on video capture, changed to reference video drivers for the Philips 713x chipset, and still get the 'time' indicator jumping forward both when recording video, and when not. Whenever the 'time' indicator jumps, then the recording becomes corrupt. I'm out of options here and think it's either a bug in Cortex or simply that the video capture card is not compatible. Has anyone had any success with a quad capture board and 4 cameras in Cortex?
    --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

What's your video capture card? The one we usually recommend (in that we know it works ok) is the IVC-200, which is a 4 x 30fps card costing about 150 inc. VAT these days.

Hi Karam

As mentioned its a 'Chinese Special' from ebay using 4 x Philips SAA7134 capture chips, each capable of 25fps PAL capture or 30fps NTSC. The 713x series is pretty standard fare in the video capture market, used by manufacturers like Trident, Avermedia, Pinnacle, Terratec etc. as well as by the more generic Chinese manufacturers, so I thought it would be a pretty safe bet. The same can also be said of the chipset in the IVC-200 board - the Conexant BT878a is again, widely used in both branded and unbranded capture cards.

I can quite happily capture video from any of the 4 inputs with amcap with no problem, so I'm just wondering could there be a glitch in the video capture hooks somewhere in Cortex that is leading to my issue? I'm sure you'll understand that I'd rather not shell out 150 for a video card, when a software tweak might be all that's required. I wonder if anyone's had any luck at all with the 713x chipset?

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

John,

Of course. It was just in reply to your question about any success with a quad capture board.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm *still* struggling on, and my problem has evolved somewhat....

So I capitulated and bought an IVC-200 capture board - and encoding is better (but still not perfect), but the main problem I have now, is that every reboot of the system results in loss of the capture settings, for example the input defaults back to NTSC at default video size, so every time I have to go in to 'configure source' and change back to PAL I at 752x576, for all four channels... deeply frustrating!

This behaviour never happened with the old card, and I've removed and reinstalled the supplied drivers, downloaded new drivers and tried those, to no avail, so I'm now wondering could it be a Cortex issue where the database loses the video settings on reboot.

Any suggestions appreciated...

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

With the IVC200 you should have 4 distinct camera devices in the OS.
    This means in Cortex you do not use a Video Capture card object which handles multiplexing.
    You simply use 4 distinct Camera objects.

Is this how you have your system configured?

Viv

That's correct - 4 camera objects, and each one has it's own video configuration settings, which have to be re-entered when cortex restarts, or of course when the PC reboots. Why would cortex lose the configuration? Could it be a corrupt database?

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Presumably you've tried Saving just after you've entered all the data, to be sure you're rebooting from a file that has the full info' ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Winter View Post
    That's correct - 4 camera objects, and each one has it's own video configuration settings, which have to be re-entered when cortex restarts, or of course when the PC reboots. Why would cortex lose the configuration? Could it be a corrupt database?
    John,

Can you please send us your database and we'll investigate.