• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scribbler
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2011

X10 control of ceiling fan

I currently have a central ceiling light which is dimmable using a LW10U wall switch and, due to the recent hot weather, I am thinking of replacing it with a ceiling fan/light such as THIS

How do I control this? I would ideally want to dim the light as well as turning the fan on/off. Could I continue to use the LW10U?

Thanks!
    Add some extra sophistication to your wedding by booking a string quartet from Sounds Ideal!
    Victoria Wharf Cardiff
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

It all depends on how the fan is wired up. The light in theory would be possible to control, but the fan probably not apart from off and on. Normally fans have at least 2 wires coming from the live connection, one of these will be for the light. You could wire the X10 module into this connection. Easiest way to find out which one is the light wire is to disconnect one wire and see if the light works or not.
    Some older types of fan used to have 4 wires coming from the live connection. One was for the light and the others got connected to different speed settings for the fan.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Scribbler
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2011

Ah right, so I'd have to run the second wire back down to the switch in order to control the fan? Or is there a micro module or something I could use?

Thinking about it, how are ceiling fans usually switched on from the wall? Or does the wall switch just turn on the light and you have to pull one of those cords to switch on the fan?
      Add some extra sophistication to your wedding by booking a string quartet from Sounds Ideal!
      Victoria Wharf Cardiff

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Normally the switch on the wall would control both. As this will just switch the live feed on or off to the fan. If you want control over both, then a dual load micro module could do the trick.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X