Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caller ID (Old Review!)

Automated Home Jr Member stoop_uk's Avatar

Default Caller ID (Old Review!)

Evening folks!

I've been struggling to get caller ID into my PCs - as we all know, modems and UK CLI don't work very well together.. I did a load of searching and I found this 8-year-old review by Dean Smith where he hacked a BT CD50 Caller ID unit. It refers to a circuit by Jon Payne, but the link has long since expired.

I picked up a CD50 from eBay for a couple of quid and it arrived today, but I really need to get the circuit diagram.. does anyone still have it, or should I have spent that few quid on a couple of pints instead?
    Stewart Priest
    Twitter :: Blog

Theres some bits still here http://web.archive.org/web/200703151...a/callerid.php

Listing the components as;

1x 326770 - 6N137 Optocoupler
    1x 3025020 - ST232CN IC Transciever (the MAX232)
    1x 412430 - 78L05 +5v Regulator
    1x 514020 - 1k Resistor
    5x 105857 - 0.1 uF Capacitor.

I can guess what is happening, the pin from the IC outputs the serial data (at 1200 baud) that is going into the opto isolator, in turn straight into the RS232 transceiver and then out onto the serial port - probably not alot more to it...the caps are for the ST232 and the regulator is powering both IC's...

Unfortunately I can't find the circuit pictures anywhere, they have not been archived

Also here may work http://www.ledbury.co.uk/callerid/ which looks like a simple from scratch caller ID circuit using a caller ID IC if you can get hold of one...

Thanks, Ad - I've been trawling the Wayback machine for the past hour with no success. I've taken a punt and emailed Dean Smith to see if he still has the original circuit diagram - fingers crossed!

If I can't get hold of it, who fancies a 'project' to help me get this thing going?
    Stewart Priest

UPDATE:

Dean has replied and sadly, doesn't have the diagram printed out. He has, however, managed to locate Jon's Flickr photostream in which he has posted the diagram.

I'll have a go at putting it together on some vero board and see how I get on!
    Stewart Priest

Can you post a link to the picture please?

Sure. You'll find it here.
    Stewart Priest

Automated Home Jr Member

been using one of these for years without probs...

http://www.way2call.com/
    Last edited by milkattable2; 3rd September 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Looks like a neat solution, but $250 is a bit steep - all I want to do is pass CID data to Homeseer...
    Stewart Priest

I officially give up with this unit - neither Dean or I can locate the decoder chip.

Has anyone found a cheap external modem which supports UK CID? I've Googled all I can think of, but I've come up with nothing...

Help?
    Stewart Priest