• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stoop_uk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2005

Caller ID (Old Review!)

Evening folks!

I've been struggling to get caller ID into my PCs - as we all know, modems and UK CLI don't work very well together.. I did a load of searching and I found this 8-year-old review by Dean Smith where he hacked a BT CD50 Caller ID unit. It refers to a circuit by Jon Payne, but the link has long since expired.

I picked up a CD50 from eBay for a couple of quid and it arrived today, but I really need to get the circuit diagram.. does anyone still have it, or should I have spent that few quid on a couple of pints instead?
    Stewart Priest
    Twitter :: Blog
  • Ad
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2004

Theres some bits still here http://web.archive.org/web/200703151...a/callerid.php

Listing the components as;

1x 326770 - 6N137 Optocoupler
    1x 3025020 - ST232CN IC Transciever (the MAX232)
    1x 412430 - 78L05 +5v Regulator
    1x 514020 - 1k Resistor
    5x 105857 - 0.1 uF Capacitor.

I can guess what is happening, the pin from the IC outputs the serial data (at 1200 baud) that is going into the opto isolator, in turn straight into the RS232 transceiver and then out onto the serial port - probably not alot more to it...the caps are for the ST232 and the regulator is powering both IC's...

Unfortunately I can't find the circuit pictures anywhere, they have not been archived

Also here may work http://www.ledbury.co.uk/callerid/ which looks like a simple from scratch caller ID circuit using a caller ID IC if you can get hold of one...

Comment

• stoop_uk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2005

Thanks, Ad - I've been trawling the Wayback machine for the past hour with no success. I've taken a punt and emailed Dean Smith to see if he still has the original circuit diagram - fingers crossed!

If I can't get hold of it, who fancies a 'project' to help me get this thing going?
      Stewart Priest

Comment

• stoop_uk
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jun 2005

UPDATE:

Dean has replied and sadly, doesn't have the diagram printed out. He has, however, managed to locate Jon's Flickr photostream in which he has posted the diagram.

I'll have a go at putting it together on some vero board and see how I get on!
        Stewart Priest

Comment

• Geps
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2010

Can you post a link to the picture please?

Comment

• stoop_uk
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jun 2005

Sure. You'll find it here.
            Stewart Priest

Comment

• milkattable2
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Sep 2004

been using one of these for years without probs...

Way2call hi-phone desktop, maestro are TAPI compliant USB telephony card device and hardware board for IVR, voip, tapi applications for business anwering machine phone systems, alternative choice to voice modem. Developer SDK available for TAPI, OCX, DLL, JAVA, JTAPI, VB, VB .NET, VC++ language and more
              Last edited by milkattable2; 3 September 2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• stoop_uk
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jun 2005

Looks like a neat solution, but $250 is a bit steep - all I want to do is pass CID data to Homeseer...
                Stewart Priest

Comment

• stoop_uk
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jun 2005

I officially give up with this unit - neither Dean or I can locate the decoder chip.

Has anyone found a cheap external modem which supports UK CID? I've Googled all I can think of, but I've come up with nothing...

Help?
                  Stewart Priest

Comment

• Geps
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Nov 2010

This?

Comment

• JonS
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Dec 2007

Not sure about external modems but I have one of these (think its this model) and although not currently using it it did work with UK CLI

This site has lots of CLI info, its not that current but may help.

JonS
                      JonS

Comment

• stoop_uk
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jun 2005

Geps, this is a nice find - I've sourced all the parts I need, and I have others in my spares box.. with the exception of the caller ID chip. I know its out of production now, but I'm struggling to find an alternative at CPC/Farnell and RS.

Are there any other good electronics distributors (I am, of course, ruling out Maplin as I don't think they do ICs..)
                        Stewart Priest

Comment

• Geps
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Nov 2010

For obsolete components I normally find ebay is a good source:

Comment

• Karam
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Mar 2005

We've been looking for a solution for quite a while, though we wanted something that handles both CLID and Voice reliably and that can abstract the information through TAPI so that it can be handled more readily at the software level.

I can confirm that the product from way2call does provide the required functionality (as tested with our Cortex software) though it did need some initial to-ing and fro-ing with the manufacturers to get it adjusted and working reliably.

Looking for a lower cost option and to cut a long story short we've recently been led to a USRobotics USB device: USR5637. This is not advertised as a voice capable modem but it is advertised as handling UK caller ID. In fact USRobotics have helpfully provided us with a firmware change (not for public release) which enables voice handling too. After a little bit of cajoling to the driver file we did get both Caller ID and Voice functions to work, however there still seem to be some reliability problems with the call progress side of things which we have yet to resolve. If you're just after caller ID then it might be ok as is and I'm informed that the driver file was updated to include some of the corrections which we found were needed to get the caller ID side to report correctly through TAPI.

Comment

• Paul_B
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2006

Really aimed at Karam, did you progress this any further? I want to get Caller ID into Cortex to display around the house and was thinking Meteor > xAP > Cortex until I found this thread. I'm using a AVM Fritzbox as my internal router and it DECT and VOIP built in but won't work with incoming caller id

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X