Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caller ID (Old Review!)

Not sure about external modems but I have one of these (think its this model) and although not currently using it it did work with UK CLI
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoom-3025-...item5ae1e1333a
    This site has lots of CLI info, its not that current but may help.
    http://ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm
    JonS

Automated Home Jr Member stoop_uk's Avatar

Geps, this is a nice find - I've sourced all the parts I need, and I have others in my spares box.. with the exception of the caller ID chip. I know its out of production now, but I'm struggling to find an alternative at CPC/Farnell and RS.

Are there any other good electronics distributors (I am, of course, ruling out Maplin as I don't think they do ICs..)
    Stewart Priest
    Twitter :: Blog

For obsolete components I normally find ebay is a good source:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SM8220P-SM...d#ht_587wt_905

We've been looking for a solution for quite a while, though we wanted something that handles both CLID and Voice reliably and that can abstract the information through TAPI so that it can be handled more readily at the software level.

I can confirm that the product from way2call does provide the required functionality (as tested with our Cortex software) though it did need some initial to-ing and fro-ing with the manufacturers to get it adjusted and working reliably.

Looking for a lower cost option and to cut a long story short we've recently been led to a USRobotics USB device: USR5637. This is not advertised as a voice capable modem but it is advertised as handling UK caller ID. In fact USRobotics have helpfully provided us with a firmware change (not for public release) which enables voice handling too. After a little bit of cajoling to the driver file we did get both Caller ID and Voice functions to work, however there still seem to be some reliability problems with the call progress side of things which we have yet to resolve. If you're just after caller ID then it might be ok as is and I'm informed that the driver file was updated to include some of the corrections which we found were needed to get the caller ID side to report correctly through TAPI.

Really aimed at Karam, did you progress this any further? I want to get Caller ID into Cortex to display around the house and was thinking Meteor > xAP > Cortex until I found this thread. I'm using a AVM Fritzbox as my internal router and it DECT and VOIP built in but won't work with incoming caller id

Paul

Would live to know too, the Zoom modem mentioned is unreliable - it maybe the TAPI software in XP, but either way I occasionally get caller alerts, which is amusing but not useful!
    JonS

I'm afraid we haven't done much more with this. The last state of affairs was that CLID seemed to work ok after some manipulations but general call handling had some issues. Which was frustrating because the sound quality was good when it worked. It needed a contiguous effort between various people to try and root it further but other priorities came up and that's where it lay.

Karam,

Thanks for the update. Might still be useful to me to provide caller-id

Paul