• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

Heating Automation Questions

I've just automated our UFH with a HVAC object per heating zone, uparis currenlt all on a single HVAC and Hot water using the timer settings. All seems set-up OK, although its too warm to be sure at the moment!

When looking at allthe connections, I see that the default connection to HVAC is Presence, does that mean that a brief transit of a room when its between occupied and unoccupied set-points will result in the occupied set-pint being activated and the boiler firing for the minimum duration as set on the HVAC object? My understanding if the room becomes briefly unoccupied is that the occupied set-point will remain for the presence run-on period. How do these two run-on periods interact? Are they concurrent?

Secondly - is there a simple way of getting a "plus 1 hour" onthe hot water object? I can see an "advance" option but that appears to be a toggle untl the next time change.

Thanks
    JonS
    JonS
  • Simon300
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2010

One little piece of advice: wire up an override facility that just switches heating and hot water on, independent of HA (I've got a 2 channel timeswitch).

Does this sound like the voice of experience..? Debugging an HA problem from a different country in winter has a very low WAF!

Good luck - automating my heating has made some significant gas savings

Simon

Comment

• jpdw
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Simon300 View Post
      Good luck - automating my heating has made some significant gas savings
      Simon
      I agree with that. And I've only done 2/3 so far. Very pleasing to see how little you can have the heating fire if you target which rooms & precise temperature.
      Jon

Comment

• JonS
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2007

I've also learnt not to change anything just before going away, destroys WAF like nothing else when things go wrong / need tweaking when not there to fix it!
        For the heating having a simple way to revert was a pre-requisite, so I have a pair of change over switches to go back to standard timer and UFH controller. On the to do list is the instructions in the understairs cupboard!
        Not yet tried the heating reflex options.

However back to the questions... any answers? (interaction of delay timers, delayed occupancy and +1 hour)
        :-)
        JonS
        Last edited by JonS; 6 September 2011, 10:22 PM.
        JonS

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonS View Post
          However back to the questions... any answers? (interaction of delay timers, delayed occupancy and +1 hour)
          JonS
          Probably best await Viv to answer this (away until next week).

Comment

• Viv
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Dec 2004

When looking at allthe connections, I see that the default connection to HVAC is Presence, does that mean that a brief transit of a room when its between occupied and unoccupied set-points will result in the occupied set-pint being activated and the boiler firing for the minimum duration as set on the HVAC object?
            JonS

Yes. If you occupy a room briefly say 30 seconds, just poping in and out, and you do not want the heating to transfer from unoccupied to occupied then you need to change the presence connection of the HVAC. That is, connect the 'Delayed occupied state' connection from the room to the HVAC so that short visits do not trigger a presence.
            The boiler will not necessarily fire if the room is of course up to occupied temperature.

My understanding if the room becomes briefly unoccupied is that the occupied set-point will remain for the presence run-on period.
            How do these two run-on periods interact? Are they concurrent?
            JonS
            Yes. Simply put, the heating will remain on for X minutes after the room becomes un-occupied. The run-on timer is trigger when the room goes from occupied to un-occupied.
            The occupied profile is used if the room is occupied or the presence run-on timer is active.

Viv.

Comment

• Viv
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2004

Secondly - is there a simple way of getting a "plus 1 hour" onthe hot water object? I can see an "advance" option but that appears to be a toggle untl the next time change.

Thanks
              JonS
              Currently their is not a "plus 1 hour".

Question:

How should a plus 1 hour be implemented? If time is say 8:00am, Hot water period is 7:00am to 10:00am, you request "plus 1 hour". Does this mean it now last till 11:00am (temporarily). Does a "plus 1 hour" when not in a heating period, advance the timing and adds an hour?

OR

A "plus 1 hour" feature runs an independant timer that provides one hour of hot water heating that can be implemented any time of day. If activated in the middle of a 'period' then has no effect.

Don't get to carried away with options :-) After all insulation should be good now that hot water tank does not lose heat quickly when not used.

Viv

Comment

• Viv
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Dec 2004

In the next update Cortex will provide a Hot Water boost option.
                The term 'boost' is used to heat the hot water in the tank up to temperature for a defined period. This seems to be the generic term.
                A connection will be provided to toggle the boost option.
                The duration of boost will be user definable.
                If connected to a button the LED will default to indicate the boost option is active.
                If the LED is wanted to represent any time the hot water is 'on' (that is being heated or up to temperature) then connect the LED to the 'Demand to hot water valve' output.
                If the LED is wanted to represent the water actually being heated (not yet up to temperature) then connect the LED to the Demand to heat source' output.
                The boost option can be activated even if the hot water mode is OFF.

Viv

Comment

• JonS
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Dec 2007

Viv, many thanks sounds perfect
                  JonS

Comment

Working...
                  X