• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

Heating control: 24V PSU location, switching & distribution

The final stage of heating control is to zone the radiators per room using the Idratek supplied Sauter valves... a few questions on how to set this up...

Originally I had planned to run the 24V supply for the the radiator zone valves from Node 0 and distribute from there. Then I thought it would be neat to run it from the boiler relay so it only operated when required. Recently I thought it might make a better installation if it was run from the same supply circuit (for heating) as the rest of the heating controls, so 1 MCB in the CU would isolate all heating controls.
    In most rooms I have a relay spare behind the DFPs, I could use these for 24V radiator valve control , but wonder from an electrical installation view if it would be better to have these relays centrally located rather than the mixed mains and 24V in the confined DFP back-box which would also mean each DFP would be connected to 2 separate MCBs.

Any advice? The installed wires allow for all options (the joys of flood wiring!) if CAT 5 cable can take the required current for switch-on of 2 sauter valves (2 rads in couple of room) through a single pair of cores. IIRC they can take 1 amp so should be fine. Max distance would be approx 20m.

Thanks
    JonS
    JonS
Working...
X