• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lozzer007
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2011

Home network/wiring advice

Hi All,

I'm after some advice. I'm in the middle of renovating a house. I'm not sure of what I may want to do in the future in terms distributing audio/video and home automation but now would be a great opportunity to get any wiring in before I plaster and decorate. I have a limited budget (hundreds not thousands) but I do want to get any wiring installed now that would support most things that I may want to invest in further down the line.

I've been recommended putting cat6 everywhere, with possibly a patch panel, and also whilst I'm doing it coax and speaker cable to all rooms I may want TV/audio. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Anything I should be considering at this time?

Thanks in advance of any advice,

Cheers.
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

There is a wiring guide on this site : http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ing-Guide.html

I've written some stuff about design for HA here:

For IP network, TV etc wiring to sockets is OK, but for automation you need to think about sensors (PIRs, doors, windows etc) Classic structured (data) cabling won't do - think more of an alarm with lots of inputs; intruder, smoke/heat etc. Definately also think about heating control.

It will take some time to get your head around so do pause, plan and get it right. You'll need to keep it safe too, so do discuss with a qualified electrician.
    HTH
    JonS
    JonS

Comment

Working...
    X