• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stoop_uk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2005

HDMI Over Cat5 problem

Morning all..

I bought some HDMI over Cat5 kit a while ago (it's here), and I've only just got round to installing it, but I've got a problem with it.

I'm trying to send an HDMI signal from a Windows Media Centre box to my TV in the livingroom. I previously had the PC directly connected to the TV, so it's nothing to do with the PC/TV. Now, when I connected up this kit, I get no picture. HOWEVER, when I VNC onto the PC, the card recognises the TV, so its kind of working.

Has anyone got any experience of these boxes and overcome this problem?

Cheers.
    Stewart
    Stewart Priest
    Twitter :: Blog
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

What resolution is your TV set to. As it looks like it only works with resolutions of 30m (1080P) or 60m (480P). Which brings me to the next question whats the length of cable used, remember to include fly leads etc.
    Have you checked the continuity of the cable. Preferable using a multimeter on Ohm setting.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• stoop_uk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2005

The TV changes resolution automatically, depending on the resolution of the input, but it was working with 1080p without this kit. The cable run - including HDMI cables & patch leads is less than 30m. I even tried putting the graphics card output down to 480p to rule out a cable length issue - no dice.

I've checked continuity of each patch lead and the structured cabling individually, and it all passed, but I'll 'borrow' some patch leads from work to rule out problems with mine, and I'll check end-to-end continuity later.
      Stewart Priest

Comment

• stoop_uk
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jun 2005

Issue resolved - dodgy patch cable.

I am, however, having an issue with the audio - I'm hearing clicking and the odd stutter. Not sure if this is to do with the new kit, but I never had this problem before..
        Stewart Priest

Comment

Working...
        X