• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geps
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2010

Idratek Play

Hi,

I'm turning my attention to multi-zone audio systems and considering I've already made the decision to use Idratek I find myself looking at the Play (Squeezebox) plugin.

Has anyone got one? I'm after a quick review and an idea of functionality if someone wouldn't mind?

Thanks in advance,
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

I have four different types of Squeezebox players around my house. Most of the functionality comes from Squeezebox itself rather than the Idratek plug-in. Devices can be synchronised so all play the same stream or run independently to play different music streams.

Squeezeboxes are fantastic pieces of kit and designed to be hi-fidelity at reasonable cost. Each device is designed to convert the network streamed audio into accurate sound through quality components including good quality DAC. So I rip my CD's to FLAC (lossless) with DBPowerAmp and use MP3Tag to get detailed meta-data into the tracks. The server element is the brains which controls the players and streams the audio, it is has the ability to accept plugins of which their are numerous available to add functionality. The plugins significantly increase the appeal of the Squeezebox devices through integration of things like Spotify, Pandora, iTunes library, BBC iPlayer for radio as well as numerous ways to convey information such as weather details to the screens of the devices.

I won't hesitate to recommend a Squeezebox, sometimes the server software lets the players down. But the alternative is Sonos which is much more expensive and less flexible. If the Idratek plug-in doesn't provide enough control and functionality their is also an XAP plugin written by Ed Pearson which can integrate into Idratek in a different way. For more info have a look at the forums http://forums.slimdevices.com/

Paul

Comment

• Geps
      Automated Home Guru
      • Nov 2010

Excellent thanks very much Paul.

I noticed that Groupon have an offer on at the moment for a Duet and Controller for £129 incl P&P so I think I might purchase one to try it out.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Paul_B
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2006

That is the one of the versions I can't comment on as I haven't purchased that particular model. The ones I have are Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Radio and the no longer for sale Squeezebox 3.

Paul

Comment

• Geps
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Paul - well I've purchased it now so once it arrived will start to have a play.

Comment

Working...
          X