• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Electric UFH

we're about to install electric resistance UFH in a small area (washrooms) ... and haven't bought the sensor or controller to go with the wire ... the idea being that timed intervals should be sufficient - ie: Cortex decides when appropriate (presence, button-press, time of day, whatever) & switches it on for maybe ten or twenty minutes (enough to heat, whilst leaving some margin relative to the don't exceed time) ...

any thoughts, anyone done this, by any chance ??
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

Typically the floor sensors are thermistor types so should easily connect into a QAI, then you'd need some relay module to switch power to the heating wire (check wattage to choose which relay but if in doubt a DRH, SRH or QRH). In principle you could then set up a heating control loop around the floor temperature using an HVAC object, or you could do it more crudely just using QAI thresholds to control temperature and various inputs gating the operation period.

Comment

• achapman
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2006

I had thought about this for our ensuite UFH and thought the easiest approach would be to wire in a relay module after the existing controller.

So you retain the existing controller to read the floor thermostat and maintain the set temperature but set its timer to be always on. The idratek relay then switches the heater output on or off based on Cortex control.

Otherwise you have to interface not only the floor heating element but the thermostat yourself. The standard fitting UFH controller has logic in it specifically designed to manage UFH elements, preventing overheating and the like, so there is some reason to continue to use it.

By retaining it you then have the fallback of reverting to the standard control by setting the idratek relay on and using the controller to set heating periods as normal.

The worry I'd have with your approach, Chris, is that the pad might overheat if it was just switched on without any floor thermostat sensor to check on its local pad temperature. Karam's approach of having a floor sensor, but using Cortex to manage the heat pad would be safer, but then you have the calibration issue of getting the thermistor integrated into Cortex.
      Last edited by achapman; 14 October 2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

yep ... take the points ...

when we bought the kit, the controller & sensor came separately, and doubled the cost ...

so instead, to do without both, my thought was to first measure how the floor temperature rose with time, then allow Cortex to switch it on for only (say) half as much ...

the washroom is a combined shower-room with WC etc & a small laundry area, with WM & drying area, and will be used mainly when the adjoining area is occupied, and we could maybe contrive to have some short warning of that ...

and any heat generated will soon find itself distributed around the house, courtesy of the MVHR system ...

Comment

• ludditeal
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Feb 2004

As Achapman has suggested is exactly how we have wired the heating in our Kitchen and plan to for our Hall floor. They are slate so we have them come on an hour or so in the morning before we get up with the times varying depending on working day or weekend.
          As far as I am aware the controllers are all the same so you can shop around. As long as they are rated for the load of the element. When we bought the hall kit it actually came with remote control and I was going to investigate using IR to control it but that is a long way down the list on the refurb at the moment. Racing to get house ready for rendering before winter sets in!!

Regards
          Allan

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

thanks again ... hmm, we bought one of these :

going for the loose-wire type because of the floor-standing sanitary-ware & the long-narrow room shape ...

and the choice of control units might therefore be these :

and since Cortex would do the clever bit, I guess the basic electro-mechanical version would be the one ...

OTOH, using just Cortex with a time-limit might be more reliable, long-term, and would mean no problem in finding a place to site the thermostat, in-line with room zoning requirements (tricky in our case, due to bath & shower etc locations) ...

OTOH, using any one of them would eliminate the need to calibrate ...
            Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 15 October 2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

I have electric UFH, wire type rather than mat type. I installed it in such a way that I have very easy access to the wires, I knocked the back out of the back box and made the hole about 2 cm deeper, just in case I needed to put a relay or something else in there when i eventually get round to automating it.
              The controller I have is made by Aube model number TH132-F (the F is for floor temp sensor). Its pretty good so at the moment automating it is on the back burner.
              There are 2 things I really like about it is that sometimes rather than coming on at 100% it may only come on at 25% so this saves energy in itself. Also it has an early start function so the on time acts more like time for floor to be at 20 degrees.It looks at yesterday and then decides do I need to come on earlier today or later or the same time as yesterday.
              Aube have some models that also have a room temp sensor as well as a floor sensor.
              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

looks good ... there seem to be three versions, A & F & AF, with the first being without floor-sensor, which seems odd - no way to avoid overheating, if the element should be undersized for the room-temperature demanded !

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

PS: actually, that Aube looks even better than I thought - appearance & user interface look good, plus it gets through power cuts (not sure if there's a limit) without needing a battery ...

the smart early start function you mention might save a lot of macro writing in Cortex, but it & the automatic scheduling would operate only to a regular routine, which generally wouldn't work for us ...

it also has a manual mode, however, in which it just maintains temperature, which might give safety & reliability & comfort & efficiency while allowing Cortex to do the when-needed / timing bit ...

that PIA mode you mentioned (varying power according to need) also looks v.good, for better temperature control ... presumably it works in manual mode ?

hmmm, Googling shows some reasonable prices, too ...

on top of which, it can be linked to Cortex via their TH134 - meaning it can be left to manage things on its own, while being open to timely commands from Cortex, albeit the instruction set is quite limited !

Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 16 October 2011, 04:18 PM. Reason: added PIA point & TH134 point

Comment

• Karam
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                    There are 2 things I really like about it is that sometimes rather than coming on at 100% it may only come on at 25% so this saves energy in itself.
                    I've seen this description of different % on the Aube unit (or maybe some other) and was intrigued by what it might actually mean. By this I mean: to maintain a given floor temperature set point given a particular environment temperature then you will have to feed a particular amount of power into the heating element (which in practice will be delivered by the controller in a pulsed manner - i.e. heating element switched on/off or PWM'd at suitable intervals). So in this context I didn't understand what these different % values mean. Does it effectively mean that the unit sometimes automatically changes the setpoint? For example I set it to 30C but it decides to deliver 25C instead? Any ideas?

Regarding other posts, yes I think if you were using Cortex to do the control then it would be a good idea to have a floor sensor. These are normally thermistor types and their parameters can usually be easily obtained and plugged into the existing Cortex analogue input thermistor mapping equation. I didn't think they were very costly but a while since I looked and they tend to come as part of a package as it were. For just floor control I think the accuracy required is not really exacting so I don't think you'd need to calibrate the sensor further beyond its stated % accuracy level.

If you are using the electric floor heating as the main heat source for room temperature control then for the room temperature loop you'd be better off using an IDRATEK temperature sensor. In other words you would have two control loops - one doing the floor and making sure that could deliver as much power as possible when required but without overheating (so that you could respond to changes in room set points as quickly as possible) and another doing the room temeperature control which needs much better accuracy and resolution sensing.

I think switching on the heating element for a given period of time (or even pulse width modulating it at a given ratio) without temperature feedback is plausible but at best is only going to be useful for taking the chill out of the floor on a morning for example and not for maintaining a steady floor temperature in the face of changing conditions. To reduce the overheating risk you will probably end up catering for the worst case scenario meaning that not much of the chill will end up being taken out on cold days. But that's just my opinion - I haven't tried to find out what you could actually get away with in practice.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

interesting ... the Aube devices do indeed appear to be sold also under other badges ...

in our case, the electric UFH will not be the main source of heat for the group of rooms involved - its purpose will be just to make bare feet comfortable & ensure the floor is kept dry ... MVHR will look after humidity, and the heat source in the adjoining main room will ensure general warmth, with the MVHR system taking-away any excess ...

the calibration I had in-mind was only to define lead-times & on-times - and the thermistor probes we've ordered are B-type, which would presumably fit with the Cortex mapping equation (?) :

Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 17 October 2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Karam
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Mar 2005

Chris,

If you can post/e-mail a link to the source or data sheet for the specific thermistor then I can better advise - just I hope you didn't mean a B-type thermocouple.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

thanks, this is what we've ordered ...

Comment

• toscal
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Karam View Post
                            I've seen this description of different % on the Aube unit (or maybe some other) and was intrigued by what it might actually mean. By this I mean: to maintain a given floor temperature set point given a particular environment temperature then you will have to feed a particular amount of power into the heating element (which in practice will be delivered by the controller in a pulsed manner - i.e. heating element switched on/off or PWM'd at suitable intervals). So in this context I didn't understand what these different % values mean. Does it effectively mean that the unit sometimes automatically changes the setpoint? For example I set it to 30C but it decides to deliver 25C instead? Any ideas?
                            The variable percent thingy is for the mains power supplied to the heating element, (think dimmer for heating). There is normally a click when it comes on then you see the bar go on full and then during the on time the bar gradually decreases. So it must be some sort of PWM method.

The only thing I would say about Aube is that they used to be a family run company and service was excellent, but now I think Honeywell has taken them over and customer service is almost non-existent. (not my words but from one of my clients who also supplied me my electric UHF)
                            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Nad
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Jul 2008

I've had two Aube 132AFs, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom and they do work very well when left to their own devices. My only regret is not putting in a nice 100mm thick layer of celotex insulation between the floor joists ... a little too late now but will not make the same mistake in the dining room

My only concern with the Aube device is that they use the 134 to control the other 132s but there is no remote automation for the 134 so I don't really see the point in it. However, if we can get cortex to simulate the signals sent along the pilot wire then that would be a different story. The signal characteristics are in the 134 instruction manual so maybe worth a go.

On the note of PWM ... this bit of the Aube instruction manual is quite interesting ...

Temperature Control

The TH132 thermostat works differently than conventional electromechanical thermostats. It is equipped with a proportional integral adaptive (PIA) controller which determines heating cycles by analyzing the temperature behavior history within the room. The PIA controller reduces temperature swings providing accurate temperature control while increasing user comfort.
                              The controller determines the amount of power required by the heating system to maintain the setpoint temperature.

One of my 132s failed sometime last year so I had to get a replacement, but instead of another 132 i picked this up from B&Q ...

There is a connector wire between pins 3 and 4 which I think could be used for automation purposes. I've not quite got around to testing this theory yet but it's been working fine as a standalone unit.

This unit also has a bar graph along the bottom so not sure if it uses a similar method of power management as the Aube, I can't imagine Aube being the only company to use this technology.

I got an energy monitor at home ... may see if I can use that to test out this theory

Thanks.
                              Nad

Comment

Working...
                              X